27 - He's Encouraging

Carter -

     "You can call me Carter."

I felt his breath hitch behind me.

"You mean that? Gray, you don't have to-"

"It's Carter. And I want to apologize." I interrupted.

He sat up, the heat leaving my body.

"Apologize? For what?"

I averted my gaze to the bed sheet, studying every line on the abstract pattern.

"Just...everything."

"What do you mean? Ever since I met you, my life has been anything but apology-worthy. I came here thinking it'd be hell for the next few months, but it's been great." He paused, taking my hand gently.

"You've done nothing to hurt me or make me upset." He said seriously.

But I have, you'll see that eventually.

"You don't know that." I warned.

He grew confused, pulling his hand away from mine.

No, please.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I tried to give myself time to think of a good answer.

"I...I'm just not good news."

The brunet hairs above his eyes drew together as warm hands came back to my own.

"That's crazy talk. You're the best news I've ever gotten."

That made my heart stop. Or, at least, that's what it felt like. Nothing had ever made me feel this way.

Only one other time has stuck with me my entire life in this way, and that was when I was thirteen. It was after an incident with Felix, and I was at one of the neighborhood parks. Owen and his wife, Lilac, were walking their dog when Lilac noticed me and they made their way over.

"What are you doing out here so late at night, Carter? Are you alone?" Owen asked, standing before me.

I shrugged. "Yeah, what's new?"

He glanced at his wife, then crouched down in front of me. His face was lower than mine and his knees almost poked my shins.

"Carter," He started cautiously, "What happened?"

I broke into tears instantly.

"Owen, h-he woul-wouldn't let me g-go, and, and he-"

I cut myself off, sobbing and trying to catch my breath. His hands grasped mine, not saying anything yet. I felt Lilac's presence take a seat on the concrete beside me.

"And he f-felt m-my-"

"Who?" Owen asked, inhaling sharply.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I coughed out, "Felix."

He stood up immediately.