16 - She's Anxious

Cameron -

I guess Parker really did disgust her because when I asked if they ever were together, she actually vomited. To my brilliant luck, it got all over my good shoes. I knew I shouldn't have worn them today - I should've listened to my gut.

She looked so sick, and when she realized what she had done, I swear she shit herself. That's sure what it looked like. She looked at me for a brief moment as if I would be upset at her, then launched herself around, running right into Parker, who had walked up closer.

Seeing Parker have his hands on her again built up so much fury inside me.

Why are you so angry?

I didn't know. I hadn't been feeling like myself lately.

All I knew was that I had to get her away from him. So I did; I pulled her away, behind me. I didn't expect her to actually crumble to the floor and have some sort of panic attack.

What the hell?

She screamed several times and backed herself up against the wall, balling up in fear.

The team leaders behind me began ushering everyone out of the room.

At one point, her scream was ear-splitting, and she brought her hands up to the back of her head as if in real pain.

"Gray!" I shouted. She couldn't hear me.

I crept closer and cupped her face, repeating, "Gray! Gray!"

And her eyes. They opened and almost immediately were solid once again. But at first....I mean, sure, her eyes were always glossy and distant-looking, but they had never appeared this...gone. This lost.

It physically pained me to see her like that.

"Can you hear me?" I asked softly.

It took a moment, but she did nod eventually.

I closed my eyes, thinking, Thank God.

Soon, we were alone, aside from Owen.

I dropped my hands from her and admitted, "You scared the shit out of me."

She shut her eyes again, holding her knees close to her and putting her chin on them.

Afraid that she would freak out again, I grabbed her face and said, "No, no, please open your eyes, Gray. You're okay. It's just me and Hathaway here. Everyone is gone, and we're gonna have a janitor come clean up your accident, you have nothing to be worried about. It happens to all of us."

Her eyelids peeled back and we made eye contact again.

"That's it, just look at me. We lost you there for a moment, huh?" I asked carefully, stroking one thumb over her cheek.

She nodded.

"Gray?" I asked.

Please, just make a sound.

"Hm?"

Hallelujah.

I moved into a seat on the floor beside her.