23 - He's Trustworthy

Gray -

        The smile that graced his face was rewarding all on its own. His teeth were so white; I made a mental note to ask him what toothpaste he uses.

"Yeah, I have. Where are we going?"

Not hesitating, I surprised myself and answered, "Dare Community Cemetery."

His eyebrows shot up, stopping for a moment to gather his thoughts.

"Oh."

~

      The hair-whipping breeze slowed down as we came to halt in a parking spot. Cameron made me wear the helmet even though he was driving, much to my dismay. I took it off as we disassembled from the bike and he propped up the kickstand.

"Nice hair," He joked, pointing at my hair. I quickly ran my fingers through and pulled it back into a low messy bun, making sure to fix my baby hairs.

We quietly walked through the cemetery, me leading the way to the gravestones I'd been walking to since I was a little girl.

Knowing exactly where I was, I stopped in front of the familiar two, cold, gray stones.

The stone on the left read, "Shanise Taniya Bolten: January 29th, 1977-November 16th, 2006". The other was engraved, "Alexander Cade Bolten: April 19th, 1975-July 21st, 1999."

"She was beautiful; always smiling and cheering everyone up. The life of the party, the 'mom' of every group, my best friend. There was only one day I saw her cry." I said quietly, staring at the name.

"Which day was that?" Cameron asked in a whisper.

"November sixteenth, 2006."

Next to me, Cameron looked back at the dates on her stone. He stayed silent.

"She always told that she would've done anything to protect me. And she did."

A gust of wind blew over us, freezing my face and hands. I stepped forward, taking off my jacket and wrapping it around my mother's gravestone. "Stay warm, mom. It's cold outside today."

Next to me, a dark gray jacket was placed on my father's stone.

I looked up at Cameron and our gazes met. His eyes were so captivating, like they had a grasp on mine and wouldn't let go. The blue in them was so comforting and warming, but the gray was a reminder to stay strong.

He nodded at me, stepping back again. I stood beside him.

"He was a fighter, so I'd heard. She always told me stories about him and showed me pictures. They were so in love. I'm just happy that they can be together."

Cameron's hand slipped into mine, gently squeezing. Tears prickled at my eyes, threatening to spill.

What is wrong with me?

I closed my eyes for a moment, reliving a simpler time.

"Mommy, look at me! Look!"

"I see you, baby! You're so brave for mommy!"

Not paying attention, I run over a misplaced rock and lose balance on the bike. My body was sent flying to the pavement, my knees and elbow getting scraped.

"Ow, ow, oww..."

"Honey!"

Warm, soft arms wrap around me and pick me up. "Are you okay?"

Through the burns that were stinging me, I say, "Yes."

She smiles, setting me down and letting me bring my bike inside. "Let's get you a bandaid for my brave little girl, huh?"