3 - He's Curious

Unknown -

       It was twenty minutes into service and I was starting to get bored. I had already finished my first load of clothes and I was the only one at my station today since my usual partner, Kristwen, was in the hospital. She was recovering from a recent concussion due to an overdose and fainted on the pavement.

She was in the organization only a week before I was, and this was week number 14 out of 65 (I was in for 15 months) so we had been friends for a while. She only had 28 weeks left at this point, and the poor chick couldn't make it. I felt bad for her. I wish that I had been there when she was considering the drugs so I could've done something to stop her. We weren't best friends or anything, but she still meant a lot to me.

I made a mental note to try and visit Kristwen tonight to see how she's doing.

My second load of clothes wasn't due for the next hour, but I couldn't just simply sit there in boredom. Normally when I finish early, I'd just wander around to see who needed a helping hand, or just bugging Owen, but today felt different.

So, feeling strangely confident, I decided it was time to lighten up everyone's mood. I picked up my phone from the upside-down gray bucket beside my chair that it had set on for the last twenty minutes and unlocked it. Finding exactly what I was looking for, I set my phone back down on the bucket, moved to an empty spot by my station, and waited.

"Mm, mmm...

I remember years ago, someone told me I should take caution when it comes to love, I did-"

{watch the video at the top! pretend there's a dance for the middle of the song, i couldn't find one that played the entire song}

My body sensed the eyes on it, but they weren't familiar. Everyone was kind of used to my dancing because most of the time I would coordinate it with my job and actually get stuff done, but I felt like expressing myself today. It felt good.

But the eyes. I hadn't seen them before. I didn't let them waver my performance, though. My heart and soul were poured into every move and I barely drew a breath, as I was used to that kind of movement.

The song ended, and so did my dance. I grabbed my water bottle and took a sip as my next song, "Chandelier" played. I had a dance to this too, but I was going to take a break and jump back in after this song.

My favorite couple, Jayla and Trey, who also danced, broke into an intense routine as well that they couldn't have practiced any less than a hundred times. Everyone here knew how much I loved to dance and express myself, and each person either joined me, applauded me, or simply didn't care, which I could respect. That's why I loved it here so much. These people were the family I'd always wanted. They made me feel safe, happy, and accepted.

Jayla and Trey had been dancing for two years now, barely scratching my performance of thirteen. But they were good. And my favorite thing about their dancing was that they never danced alone. It was always a duet with them. I loved it.

The two of them both had 56 weeks left. They came in together six weeks ago for trespassing on federal property. Don't ask me what federal property it was because I honestly don't know. How they even got there? I don't know that either.

Their dance was very beautiful, looking highly inspired by the music video. While watching their moves, I couldn't shake the eyes that were still prowling into my side. I was being studied. Watched.

Someone was trying to figure me out.

Must be a new kid who doesn't know who I am and what I'm like.

Turning on its own, my body faced the prosecutor of the situation. I made eye contact and I wasn't surprised.

It was always the boys who thought they could understand me.

He was tall; 6'0, maybe 6'1. Broad shoulders and a strong, confident stance. Wandering eyes. Wandering mind, I'm sure. Typical.

His light dirty-blonde hair was flopped in a seemingly careless, yet to me, obviously worked on, voluminous mess. It was slightly leaning towards the left side of his head as if it was naturally parted that way. He obviously worked out, but not to the disgusting or addictive point. He had the body and hair of the built Chris Pratt, but his features weren't relatable. The sun had obviously smothered him in sweet kisses and his simple white tee shirt complimented that perfectly. His face was clean shaven, and I was curious of his closer facial features, but too far away to really examine.

On his arm rested a half-sleeve that looked like two hands praying over a cross. I loved tattoos, and I wanted to see his closer.

But his eyes. I couldn't tell much about them from here, but I could surely see and feel the beauty in them. My body was screaming at itself to get closer and figure out this guy, but my mind was overriding it in attempts to keep my dignity and not look like a total creep. Here, most everyone is used to me being one, but I still liked to keep things simple and respectful.

I knew I didn't like people thinking they knew me by looking at me so I wasn't about to do the same to this guy. But I made a mental note to introduce myself later and get to know him.

Was he attractive? Sure, I guess, but he also looks like every other in-shape white dude. Except his eyebrows. Even from here, I could tell they were thick.

I had kept eye contact, waiting for him to break it first. He did. Another point for me.

I watched Owen point out everything to him, explaining to him what we were all about, what we did, and how we handled things around here. Soon, Owen's hand gestured at me and I waved with a sickly, sweet smile. He rolled his eyes, saying something to the new kid that I couldn't comprehend.

It was probably along the lines of, "Watch out for that one," or "avoid her," or, my personal favorite, "there's my favorite student, you'll like her." But the last one continued to live in my imagination, sadly.

They continued around the room until my next song started and Jayla and Trey got off my "stage".

This was one I had practiced since I was in diapers, practically. I hadn't actually ever performed it before so I was kind of nervous. But the people didn't matter. This was about me and the floor.

~

It's so weird for me to come back on these chapters I wrote years ago and write author's notes for them. But here's another chapter !

Now that I'm re-reading these early chapters, I'm kind of like, "wow the mood definitely changed and chapters got way longer".

So bare with me, please.

Thank you for reading :) Don't forget to vote, comment, share, and follow my profile.

Oh, and, seriously, wear your underwear. Until next time, my lovelies,

- Kate