Denial

Caroline and I sat in Elena's living house, discussing the events of last night. She was trying to wipe off the burn marks that Kol had left, but it wasn't really working.

Bonnie's spell had faltered last night, leaving Klaus to escape late at night. We weren't really concerned, but we were worried about what they would say when they realized we'd lost him. Caroline had regained her strength, but her hatred for Klaus grew right alone with it.

I'm exhausted, honestly, considering I haven't slept for at least 3 days now. Everything was a little hazy, and my eyes kept closing. I felt like I was dead. I knew I needed to sleep, but those god forsaken dreams still haunted me every waking hour.

The door opened from behind us, and Caroline sat up. I noticed Elena and grinned, happy to see the mystery gang again. "Hey, you're home," I said happily, beginning to walk towards them.

Caroline spoke up, "I was trying to clean the burn mark where Kol-," she froze, as did I. In Stefan's arms was a limp Jeremy. His face was a ghostly white and his entire body was unmoving. He didn't seem to be breathing.

Caroline's voice lost her positive air as she realized Jeremy's predicament, "I couldn't get the spot out..."

"Come on, let's get him upstairs," Elena spoke to Stefan, who looked at us with a grim look across his face.

Both Elena and Stefan slowly made their way upstairs as Caroline and I stood rigid, glancing at each other. Was he dead?

I followed them upstairs to his bedroom. Stefan placed his body on the bed as Elena grabbed a blanket, throwing a blanket on top of Jeremy. She sat on the bed next to him, holding his hand in hers, toying with his ring. "Can I get you anything?" Stefan asked her.

"No, I'm-," Elena began, keeping her eyes glued to her little brother's body, "I'm just gonna sit here and wait with him until he wakes up,"

My eyes widened as I looked towards Stefan, who shook his head as his face filled with dismay.

She turned to us, "let me know if you hear anything about Bonnie, okay?"

"Yeah, sure," Stefan responded. I froze. What happened to Bonnie?

I walked downstairs with Stefan following behind me. He explained to me that Bonnie went missing on the island, leaving Caroline and I to become overly concerned.

"Hoe long has she been like that?" Caroline inquired, turning back to the dishes she'd been working on.

"Ever since we found his body," Stefan responded, a small pour across his face, "she hasn't said anything except that she's waiting for him to wake up,"

"But he's not going to wake up," I spoke quietly, my eyes nailed to the floor, "She knows that, right?"

Stefan walked towards Caroline, turning the faucet on to keep Elena from snooping in on us with her heightened hearing.

"Look, deep don, I think she has to," Caroline explained, "but we're talking about Elena here. She feels grief more powerfully than anyone else. I think her denial is the one thing protecting her from letting it all in,"

"She can't stay like that forever," I spoke up, "it's not healthy. Denial is the worst thing in the grieving process,"

"I know," Stefan explained, his hands fidgeting with a rag, "but I don't to be the one to break her out of it... not until we know that Bonnie's safe. Not until we get Damon over here to, you know-,"

"Use the sire bond to convince her that everything is okay?" Caroline finished for him, her arms crossed.

A voice spoke from behind us, "I'm not in denial," Elena snapped. I internally cringed. How much had she heard? Stefan turned around nervously, shutting off the faucet.