Chapter 42

Ash

"Oh...well...I know, but you can't knock a girl for trying," Rose answered.

Ash glanced at her to try and read her face. Rose's tone did not match her words, but she smiled and walked a little away, her sword glowing above her as beckoned him over. Still feeling a little awkward and upset with himself, Ash avoided her gaze to stare at a dilapidated oak door, hanging off its hinges, just a shove and it would crumble to the floor. He was gobsmacked, and shuffled over, unable to believe that he could have walked out of his cell at any time. As if reading his mind Rose grinned at him and shrugged.

"As they say, the question is easy if you know the answer and don't always believe what you see as people will always show you what they want you to see."

Ash frowned at the door and back at Rose. She was such a mystery and to him the current question that he couldn't answer. He thought she would at least feel something, anything with his confession. Sadness? Anger? Pity?

"So...so you are okay with me...not...you know-"

"Don't you dare say it and embarrass me any further than I already have done by myself!" She snapped back, slipping out the door. She did shove the framework and as Ash predicted, half the door separated from its hinges and crashed to the floor, nearly hitting him in the process.

"Hey! Careful, you could've killed me," he shouted.

He suddenly jumped back in fright as she popped her head back around and gave him a ferocious green stare.

"Don't tempt me, lover!"

And she disappeared again, her giggle echoing against the walls, as the light from her glowing sword faded. Ash scampered after her, pushing down his anxiousness about being alone.

"Rose? What about my Dad, was...was he here or not?"

This time when she popped her head back, he screamed and she rolled her eyes.

"Gees, you are such a wet fish, Ashley." She grabbed his arm harshly, dragging him along like a rag doll.

"Ow, ow, ow -Rose, you're hurting me!"

"Oh do be quiet lover, we have to get away quickly and all your fussing is just wasting time." She scolded.

Ash slipped from her grasp and stomped his feet on the cold stone, folding his arms across his chest and giving her a dark stare.

"I will not go any further until we go and get my Dad!" He said it with such conviction and certainty that he was convinced she would agree, though Rose just stared at him, the blades glow flickering and bouncing shadows all around them. Ash tried to remain calm, though under her gaze his heart raced, and his eyes stung with beads of sweat seeping into his eyes. She rolled her eyes at him...again.

"Will you bloody stop rolling your eyes at me! I'm not a bloody child Rose, and I ...I am going back."

He spun to turn just as Rose extinguished all light. His world instantly closed in around him and he paused in mid-step his skin tingled in fear.

"Hmmm, so Romeo thinks he can save Daddy, does he?" Her voice was a whisper at his right ear an echo in his face and then behind him. He spun around trying to guess where she was, finally closing his eyes. Why was she being so horrible?

"Rose please, please he is all I have, please I can't do it alone...never alone. Rose I don't want to be alone!"

The light returned as did a scowling Rose, inches from his face. He bit back a squeal and clenched his jaw. She stepped back out of reach and started tapping her foot.

"I knew I should have told you. Your Dad isn't here. I don't know where he is! He...he hasn't contacted us for weeks...we have...never mind!" She stormed past him and snatched his arm again in passing, this time gently, guiding him rather than pulling him like a sack of shit.

"Huh, Rose? What do you mean...I...I was talking to him, and he was...I was before Rogers came."

She sighed and glanced over her shoulder as they came to a narrow passageway with stone steps, all farrowed in the centre by continued use over the years.

"It is one of Beelzebub's tricks, he can manipulate other people's voices and get in their minds and copy their posture, characteristics, taking over their lives. No one would tell the difference, that is, when he puts his wicked little mind to it and isn't lazy. You are lucky he was in a hurry and didn't decide to take over your life."

She shook her head and started climbing. Ash followed and pondered her explanation, only to stop and gasp.

"Does that mean he has met my Dad, they have...Rose he could be here...hurt, in danger or even...?"He swallowed not wanting to finish his thoughts aloud.

"Nah, not your Dad, lover, you old man has a canny way of always slipping through Baal's traps, he even manages to avoid the Holy Order. Your Dad will be found when he wants to be...and only when he wants to be." She laughed.

"Come on lover, we don't have much, time...we have to save your sister."