Chapter 9

Ash

Spraying on some cologne and brushing his wayward hair, he flew out of the bathroom, picked up his mobile phone and keys off the coffee table, and glanced at his watch; only four and a half minutes to get to work.

As he turned to leave, he stopped, disorientated for a moment, staring at the front door. The bile began to rise in his mouth and a feeling of dread spread over him. He peered over his shoulder, at the necklace coiled on the sofa; it called to him, a passing whisper in his ear, like a gentle breeze, stirring the air. He stepped towards it, hesitating, but as soon as his hand touched the cord, the anxiousness evaporated and his head cleared as if by magic.

He snatched it up and was in two minds to either wear it or put it in his pocket. Gritting his teeth, he slipped it over his head and stuffed it under his shirt. No one would know – he hoped. As the metal touched his skin, it did not give the expected cold bite, but a warm, pulse against his chest, calming and soothing his mind.

Yep, I'm losing my mind...

Ash stormed out of his apartment and scampered down the Georgian oak staircase into the entrance foyer, the sunlight poured in through the rainbow-coloured glass panels in the door, making a warm welcoming glow, a vast contrast to the dingy staircase above. He didn't stop and jumped from the last four steps, skipped across the old mottled rug and swung open the door, only to skid to a halt, somehow preventing a messy collision with Mrs Lockhart and her little rat of a dog.

"Whoa...sorry Mrs Lockhart, that was close," he cried, her face a picture, layers of fat under her chin wobbled as she opened and closed her mouth, in horror. One hand held down her blonde wig; falling at an odd angle across her face and the other tugging at the dog's lead. That started yapping and snapping at Ash's ankles. He cowered away against the building. How he hated the animal. Such a poor excuse for a dog.

"Boris, stop that...stop it this instant," scolded Mrs Lockhart, pulling her dog behind her beach ball frame.

"Ashley, how lovely to see you this morning, I was just walking on the seafront and Brighton Pier looked so -" Ash raised his hand rudely in her face; keeping his gaze firmly on the rat.

"Sorry, I can't stay, I am late for work," he said bluntly, not giving her a chance to continue the conversation, trying to squeeze past while not getting chewed by the dog at the same time. The rat hid behind her legs growling, daring Ash to come closer, but he stayed well away from those vicious little jaws and edged past, quickly slamming shut the Iron Gate. As he left, Mrs Lockhart's voice followed after him across the road.

"What has gotten into you Boris, why are you so rude to Ashley? You come here this instant, don't you look at me like that!" she snapped crossly.

Ash dashed past a brown UPS van and into the park, onto a path that wound its way through the trees and bushes, avoiding a couple of joggers running the other way. The sun flickered through the trees, sending dancing shadows across the path, as the clear blue sky remained cloudless, giving the perfect backdrop to a fine but brisk spring day. Only a small icy breeze coming in from the sea, revealed any life to the leaves, cold tendrils biting at Ash like the mutt Boris, as he ran frantically to save his job.

He turned the last corner into Dyke road, emerging out of the shadows of the nearby houses, only to stop abruptly and slip back behind the building. He was too late, Scrooge had pulled up in his silver Land Rover across the road from the Coffee shop. Ash had to somehow get down the side alley and into the kitchen. As long as Scrooge kept to his normal Saturday routine, Ash might still have a chance.

Scrooge let the engine run for five seconds before turning it off and peering through small dark eyes at his chubby reflection in the rear-view mirror. Pulled out a comb and brushed his dark thinning hair and adjusted his tie under a triple chin. It took him three attempts to roll out of his seat and when he finally made it, his enormous frame nearly knocked a cyclist off her bike.