Chapter 18

Ash

He stared at his apartment door for a moment, lost in thought, pondering if his life would ever be the same again

Doubt it...

Aimee brushed past him, striding purposely towards the front door.

"I'm going to follow those two for a bit, to make sure they leave the area," she said, frowning at Ash for some reason as she swung the door open. She paused for a moment and continued to stare at him, biting her bottom lip before she shut the door behind her.

What the hell is wrong with her?

Ash nearly jumped out of his skin as Leon's voice rumbled next to him. "I'll have one mate if you're still making one." He placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"How and when did you appear? I have had enough of people sneaking up on me!"

Leon raised an eyebrow in reply and grabbed an extra mug off the rack, handing it to Ash.

"I am sorry you have been pulled into this mate, you know, I wanted to tell you, but we are forbidden by our laws...our Holy Code. It is what keeps us safe and to be honest, you safe as well," he said, totally ignoring Ash's question.

"Whatever, it doesn't make me feel any better," he replied snatching the mug off Leon.

"I am telling the truth, seriously, we tried to keep you out of our world and allow you a normal life...after...you know, your past and all."

Ash looked up sharply.

"What do you know about my past?"

Leon raised his hands in defence.

"It is our job to know and we were sent to protect you." He said it as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"So your job is to protect people? So what's Anna and Jayne's - to beat the fuck out of them...and in the name of some Angel, or God! I guess I'm destined for hell then, huh?!"

Leon winced, but placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned down to look Ash in the eye.

"No, they...they thought you were...something else." His eyes glazed over and he seemed to look inwards. Still sparkling with this new honey colour. Not an inkling of his old blue.

I just can't get used to it...so unnatural...

"But you're not, are you?" Leon added quickly flashing Ash a cheeky grin. "Something else, your normal."

Normal? Who is normal these days?

"So you support what they did to me? To check if I'm normal? Cheers buddy, I'm glad you have my back...mate," growled Ash.

"No, no! I don't condone their actions, but logically I can see why." Leon looked close to tears his frustration plain to see.

"Bloody hell Leon, why should I care what you think anyway? I know who I am and that's all I need to know. Your world is violent and it bloody hurts...a lot!" Ash went to raise a hand to his face remembering the pain but instead turned on the coffee machine, completely at a loss with what to truly think anymore.

Leon considered him for a moment, humming an unrecognizable tune.

"Look. I'm trying hard to understand your perspective Ashy, and I see how it could seem weird and a little mental."

"You don't say," interrupted Ash sarcastically. Leon sighed and leaned against the worktop huge arms crossed over his chest.

Appearing to give up explaining, neither spoke for a moment and stared at the coffee pouring into a second mug. The silence was overwhelming as they both kept their thoughts to themselves.