Chapter 19

Ash

Ash blinked and opened his eyes, taking a moment to gather his bearings. He was in a car in the back seat, his head on something soft. He could smell leather, the fresh clean new car odour and Emma's intoxicating perfume.

His head was thick and heavy like he had slept for days. Emma was gently caressing his hair sending tingling sensations across his skull, as the crystal against his skin smouldered in wait. He did not want to move, so he kept his eyes closed, savouring the moment to just breathe and not think.

It lasted only moments, as he tried to recall getting in the car, but couldn't.

He was with Leon, packing a bag and deciding what gear to take with him, sitting on his bed. The big man showed him a map of their journey across England to the Lake District, a good five to six-hour drive, from the bottom of the country to the top. The conversation shifted to Leon scrolling through a list of some of the local pubs, near where they will be staying and that was all he remembered. He must have dozed off and been carried to the car.

I'm such an embarrassment...

He felt his cheeks heat up at the thought, hoping it was Leon who had carried him, not Aimee.

"It was the only real solution!" stated Emma above him. Shattering his thoughts. He blinked open his eyes as Leon replied.

"What about the mission?" he asked turning in the passenger seat to face her. Ash quickly closed his eyes; not ready for them to know he was awake. Anyway, it was so relaxing to stay where he was. He let out another deep sigh as another tingle from Emma's finger flowed down his spine.

Ash peeked out of one eye, saw Leon facing the front again, and checked to see who was driving; the dark, unkempt frizzy hair gave it away.

"I see no alternative...we can protect him there, if not easier than in Brighton," Emma answered. Leon's tone deepened.

"Yea, I know, but I just don't like it M. We can't afford to trust anyone after the -"

"Morning sleepy head!" interrupted Emma giving Ash's head a gentle tap. He sat up and caught Aimee's icy stare in the review mirror. He smiled at her; however, her eyes quickly focused back on the road.

"Hi-ya mate!" welcomed Leon throwing him a breakfast bar.

Ash gave a huge sigh, wiping the drool from his mouth as he glanced at Emma's lap, craving to return to his favourite pillow and let her caress his head again. Emma caught his look, and smiled, brushing a stray strand of hair away from his eyes. He felt his face heat up from the intimate action, unsure what it meant.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to...you know...use you as a...a pillow." He pointed to her lap. She just kept smiling at him.

"It's okay, you were exhausted." She replied stretching out her arms and back and giving a soft moan.

"Still I'm sorry for -"

"It is fine Ashley, stop worrying." She interrupted, squeezing his hand.

Unsure of what more to say on the subject he ripped open his cereal bar and for the first time took in his surroundings.

"When did you guys get a car like this? Is it a rental? It must cost a bit to hire." he said rubbing the sleep from his eyes and taking a bite. He brushed the leather upholstery interior and the chrome handles. He had never been in such an expensive car before, let alone a Jaguar.

"It's bwoody posh!" he exclaimed, his mouth full of oats and dried yoghurt, he messed about with the buttons on a small screen sunk into the back of Leon's headrest, but it did not turn on.