Chapter 13

Ash

Ash jolted up and stared at the darkness surrounding him, disoriented, his guts churning and his hands trembling. He grabbed onto the crystal necklace, instantly reassured as it tingled within his grip. His mouth tasted like sour milk – he felt like he hadn't eaten or drunk anything for days.

Licking his cracked dry lips, he swung his legs over the side of the bed and switched on his lamp. He searched for his mobile phone and couldn't find it, so sat back down withdrawn and lost, staring at his hands. He struggled to comprehend what was real and what was a dream, both blending into one muddled blur.

He climbed to his feet, rolling his shoulders and moving his neck muscles to remove the stiffness. His head felt muzzy, thick of wool and his body ached, like when he had been to the gym with Leon. He sighed at his emotional loss and decided to look for his phone later; right now he needed a shower and some food.

In the bathroom, he found a wet towel on the floor and dark blood-like stains on the material.

What?

Mother Luisa's words ran through his head. "Have you had any more blackouts?"

Ash couldn't remember anything since...since? He leaned over the sink and turned on the water for a drink, pulling away in disgust at more bloody towels and red stains over the surface, a dry red hand print on the mirror. He slowly put his hand up to it and snapped it away as they matched. He caught his stare, reflecting and clenched his jaw at the awful haunted face staring back at him.

His hand followed along his unshaven jawline, noting his drawn-out and pale complexion, his dark eyes sunken and dead. His gaze dropped to his chest and the tiny crystal, noting that its shade had darkened to a deep purple and leaf-like veins within the stone were now a cherry red. Cold to the touch, a normal stone against his exposed skin.

The sudden urge to be rid of the thing grasped him and he tried to unclasp the chain, but couldn't find the link, the chain had magically become one solid chain.

What the hell is going on?

He decided to lift it over his head, however, he just couldn't shift it, and incredibly it became too heavy to move. As much as he tried, his hands would not grip and his arms gave way. Resigned to the task, Ash dropped his arms to his side and frowned at the tiny magenta stone, sitting innocently against his chest.

How, how is it possible?

Resolved that the necklace wasn't going to play nice, and not ready to face the reality of cleaning up all the blood around him, Ash slipped the rest of his clothes off and jumped in the shower, the warm water hitting his skin, slowly warming his body and reviving his mind.

He took a moment to recollect the day, especially going over the conversation with Emma in his head. It still didn't explain why she abruptly and so obviously distanced herself from him today. Nor why she didn't give him a chance to explain, to reason with her - it just felt wrong, out of character. After weeks of getting to know her, her sudden change towards him was wrong - she always saw the best in people.

He grimaced still at a loss and turned off the shower, pulled back the curtain and grabbed a towel from a slim pale hand.

"Thanks," he said, bringing the material to his face.

He began drying his hair and stopped abruptly, finally aware that he had been passed his towel.

Someone was in his bathroom...are you having a laugh?

He peeked nervously from under the towel into large deep blue eyes, two newly cut sapphires, sparkling mischievously inches away. They sat perfectly on a pretty heart-shaped face with petite features and a huge mouth, full of large pure white teeth - a smile to advertise toothpaste.