Chapter 14

Ash

Helpless, Ash could only wait for the impact as he dropped to the floor. It didn't hurt, as his entire body and mind already did, a pain beyond comprehension.

He lay in a pool of blood, his breathing slow and shallow. He smiled, well tried too, if a face beaten to oblivion could smile. The blinding glow changed to a honeydew sheen and then to a green tea shade and flowed towards him; softening and fading back to gradually resemble a person, walking towards him. He ignored the fire against his skin, the crystal throbbing in unison with the coming light.

He stared at a hand reaching out to him, glowing in an emerald shade of energy, intimately trailing along his jawline to cup his chin in a firm but caring grip. Another hand pressed against his forehead. With that last contact, all the fear and agony evaporated, clearing the dense fog of his mind and pulsing a wave of hot energy throughout his body.

He gasped - not in pain but in joy - in pure pleasure, the continuous aching stopped and changed his injuries healing. He could feel every cut, every bruise, and broken bone, soothe, reset then fade. In his mind he pictured gashes closing up without a scar and bruises turning from purple to yellow, his internal injuries disappearing as if they never happened.

He could only describe the feeling as sinking into a hot bath, painful and shocking to the body at first then soothing and reviving very soon after. His heart thundered hard and fast, increasing every second the hands touched his skin, his body recovering at a phenomenal pace. Then all of a sudden it stopped, the link severed – only a distant memory, leaving the stone throbbing against his chest, the only gentle reminder.

Ash blinked open his eyes, both eyes, the blurriness disappearing as colour returned like an old friend and he stared up at the shattered patio doors, sunk in, glass in pieces where he had hit and become stuck. He shuddered, remembering, his sight flickering in and out of focus.

So it isn't a dream...

He sucked in the air, savouring every moment, rejoicing at the lack of pain, grinning in delight at nothing but the feeling of being alive. He paused from his elation, to suddenly appreciate a light flowery scent, he had smelt that fragrance before. He stared down and studied a jade colour weave of material inches from his face as someone gently rocked back and forth, and cradled him in their arms. He had not even realised he was laying down. His eyes grew heavy from the gentle rhythm, the warmth and the intoxicating smells - until something splattered his cheek, again and again.

Tears?

"I am so sorry Ashley, so sorry...I should have been here with you, I could have stopped them – protected you. I should have protected you..."

Ash sighed and bit back a bitter smile, hearing the anguish and emotions in her voice. He pulled away to stare up into Emma's emerald gaze, her beautiful eyes swollen and red from tears, his heart leapt, her natural radiance and grace shining through. He reached out, and brushed a loose strand of her dark auburn hair behind her ear, leaving his hand against her damp cheek, wiping a teardrop with a thumb. The intimacy did not embarrass him this time, it felt right, natural like he had finally come home. They stared at each other saying nothing but understanding each other. She pressed her cheek against his hand and smiled warmly at him. He opened his mouth to speak his mind.

"Emma."

Someone coughed, interrupting and they both turned to look over the sofa to find Leon grimacing at them, beads of sweat on his brow, whole body shaking with strain.

"Umm...sorry to interrupt your magical moment guys... but we still have a serious situation here, that needs to be sorted...and pronto," he growled through clenched teeth. Ash stared at his friend in shock, Leon's deep blue eyes were consumed by a deep honey-yellow glow, the whites of his eyes non-existent. The big man turned away to stare up at something in front of him.