Chapter 23

Ash

"Ashley!"

"Hey, Ashley?"

He came around to stare straight into the terrifying gaze of a face inches from his, with two white fires for eyes. He cried out in horror and closed them again, unable to move as something pinned him to the floor.

"Ah, sorry, sorry," said Aimee, "It's okay now, you can open them."

Ash risked a glance and this time saw Aimee's huge grey eyes and an expression of deep concern. She blinked as he blinked, in recognition as they stared into each other's eyes for a moment. He raised a hand to his chest, to ensure it still beat and noted Aimee had also done the same. He peered back into her eyes and saw them glisten with fresh tears.

Did she feel it too?

"Can you grip my hand, are you able to stand?" she asked not giving him the chance to respond, tugging him to his feet. The momentum pulled him in close, making him stagger against her, and for the briefest of seconds, he leaned into the side of her neck and long main of hair. What struck him instantly was the warm earthy scent, of forests and nature, with a subtle wharf of amber. A welcoming aroma he did not expect.

"Wh...what happened?" he asked as Aimee brushed past to pick up and straighten his fallen chair, easing him back into it, her face grim and mouth set in a thin line. For the first time, Ash thought he saw genuine concern in her eyes.

For him or her?

"You fell off your chair and lay on the floor eyes closed for a second or two and..." She suddenly peered up at him and something passed across her gaze like she knew more than she was letting on.

"We felt an energy surge...from you," she finished, her voice hesitant and careful.

A second or two? Energy surge?

"What in Raphael's name was that Ashley!?" exclaimed Emma her eyes glowing with green fire, peering over the shoulder of Father David, who barred her way to him, his eyes the same.

"Settle down priestess," he said to Emma, turning back to Ash. "We all felt it, but what it was, I do not know." His eyes winked out and changed back, however narrowing as if he saw Ash for the first time.

If only I knew what it was I was supposed to have done...

The Raphael monk next to Emma also appeared shaken up by the incident, pale slim hands gripped the top of Father David's chair. As if seeing Ash's gaze upon them, the Monk slipped them back in the sleeves and stood erect again. The shadow within the hood remained a dark veil, hiding the face, but Ash was sure he could see a green fiery glow of eyes within.

Ash peered after the other Monks, each continuing to hide their faces, leaving only the trademark glows of their eyes. Blue in the darkness of the Gabriel Monk and the Yellow of the Uriel Monk. Ash's arms tingled and goose bumps flowed throughout his body.

Can I feel their anger? Or when they change their eyes to fire?

Everyone's gaze was coloured fire, Anna and Jayne's blue, even Tiff, who was being held back by Rogers, were golden fire. Rogers and Father Thomas were the only ones not to change, not that Ash knew if Rogers was one of them. But Father Thomas grinned at Ash, his eyes sparkling in appreciation.

They all felt threatened by whatever I did...

There was a tingling sensation on Ash's leg, he noticed Aimee's hand touching his knee, as she knelt next to him. She caught him staring at her hand and quickly removed it, climbing to her feet and casually strolling back to her original position at the fireplace. She kept her gaze low and to the floor, though Ash noted the reddish tint of her cheeks.