Chapter 5

Ash

Remembering last night's dream, Ash brought a finger to his lips. He could swear he could still taste her, the vanilla essence lingering and caressing his tongue. He chuckled at his wistful thoughts about the red-eyed girl.

I'm such a dick, fixating on an imaginary girl from my dreams.

He shivered as the morning chill embraced him, his mind returning to the present, his sweat-soaked shirt cooling against his skin. He stretched the tightness from his lower back and shoulders and breathed deeply, standing up and sauntering over to the window. He tilted the blinds to let in the morning light, pausing for a moment to enjoy the ruby cloudless sky, the sun still yet to reveal itself.

At least it had stopped raining.

He pushed the window open a little wider, to enjoy the after-rain taste in the air, salty, though clean and fresh, clearing his muzzy, alcohol-fuelled head. His mobile phone alarm started chiming and vibrating behind him on his nightstand.

He stopped the alarm and noticed fifteen messages, five missed calls and a voice recording. All from Leon, his work colleague and newfound mate, who had pulled Ash under his wing. Leon had set up the blind date last night.

He knew Leon was just digging for information, but he was relentless and impatient to a fault. Making Ash his pet project, to get him a girlfriend was beginning to get under Ash's skin. Especially how he had become his friend's obsession.

A little embarrassed and already trying to formulate what to say back to Leon without sounding rude and ungrateful, he paused in sudden realisation and stared up at the ceiling in thought. He couldn't even comprehend much of the evening, only walking to the Restaurant on East Street, but after that. Nothing.

This can't be, right? How much did I drink?

Scratching the back of his neck, Ash spun around and scanned his room, searching for his clothes - they were nowhere to be seen. Biting his bottom lip, he peered back at his phone, confused, his stomach churning in worry.

Are you there yet? Rachel turned up?

8:35, 14 Aug

did you get the complimentary wine?

8:57, 14 Aug

Don't forget to mention her cat Thomas and DO NOT say anything about her ex-boyfriend!!

9:31, 14 Aug

How's it, hanging dude????

10:25, 14 Aug

Drop me some crumbs, u dog, call me 😊

11:04, 14 Aug

come on m8 give me something, I'm dying here

11:46, 14 Aug

u Casanova???

11:47, 14 Aug

don't forget 2 wear protection You man slut 😉

11:49, 14 Aug

SHIT dude! Rachel phoned me. Where u at? Why didn't you turn up?

00:12, 15 Aug

Talk to me, dude! I'm worried about u

00:20, 15 Aug

Been phoning you and I'm outside your place, let me in

00:42, 15 Aug

where r u? Answer the bloody door

00:43

Answer your bloody phone

00:49, 15 Aug

Mate can't find you anywhere you better not be ignoring me, just drop a line, even just an ok.

1:53, 15 Aug

Whatever! I give up, so I will see you at work. Don't you ghost me bitch!

2:36, 15 Aug

Ash dropped to his bed in shock, he couldn't remember any of this. What was he drinking last night?

I can't even remember drinking.

Ash dropped the phone on the bed not bothering to listen to Leon's voice recording and took off his damp shirt, throwing it at the wash bin. As the material hit the floor - missing the bin, he jumped up to check if his clothes from last night were in the basket, and to his amazement it was empty.

What the fuck? - that was full?

Grimacing he picked up his shirt and dropped it in the bin.

I need a coffee, black and strong enough to peel the enamel off my teeth.

As an afterthought, he snatched his phone and scrolled through to look at the time stamp of Leon's communication. He was outside the apartment at twelve forty-two. Ash peered out the window towards the distant clouds, as the sun started to raise its lazy head. Not that he noticed, as he tried to piece together his night out.

He remembered leaving the apartment and shutting his front door, then walking through town and he vaguely remembers stopping at a restaurant. But he couldn't confirm it was THE restaurant of the date. It all went blank after that - until he jolted awake from the nightmare.

Where the hell did I go?

The words from Mother Luisa echoed in his skull as he staggered out of his bedroom.

"Have the blackouts started – I mean have you had any blackouts?"

SHIT! I'm losing it!

The morning light streamed in through the large French doors that opened out to the balcony, bouncing off the room's cream walls, giving the place a neon fiery glow. Ash cringed from the initial shock and blindly made his way to the kitchen, rubbing the floating images from his tired eyes. He filled up the coffee machine's water container, and switched it on to warm up, deciding to have an espresso this morning - a double.

His head throbbed in time with his heart, like thunder echoing in his skull. He closed his eyes a moment, as his heel bumped against cold metal, triggering him to crouch down and check the washer and dryer.

Full? He had put it on!? What is wrong with me? I don't turn into werewolves at night, oh no, I turn into a fucking housemaid!

He chuckled at the thought, before falling back into despair. Pondering how it all was possible, he snatched a mug off the rack and pressed the button to release the steaming dark liquid-heaven, his mouth watering in anticipation.

Blackouts? What the hell is happening to me?