Chapter 55

Melissa

Melissa screamed at Baal in frustration and anger, twisting her body onto the Alter and firmly placing her feet down on the stone. She frantically started tugging and pulling at his wrists, but the Arch-Daemon was stronger and grinned back at her in defiance.

"You are but a fly to swat away little one. You have no power in this realm, too much corruption, too much hate!" He growled and slipped a hand from her grip and snatched a handful of her hair, snapping her head back to expose her neck.

The sudden shock and burning sensation pulled the fight from her as she cried out in agony, her vision blurred and the room spun, as she began losing consciousness.

The crystal came to the rescue again, reluctant to let her fall into oblivion, it burst its energy through her chest and into her heart, the power reigniting within as she bellowed out in triumph returning to the fight in wild retaliation, her fingernails digging into his fleshy wrist and clawing down the side of his face.

Baal growled at her in fury, though the knife remained in his grip. Melissa attacked the hand gripping her hair but was unable to get a firm hold and returned to clawing deeper into his weapon arm, her desperation a frenzy, fuelling the fire in her belly. But Baal remained steadfast and unmoving.

Time slowed, her muscles taunt and rigid as her strength waned, and the bitter metallic taste in her mouth revealed the extent of her agony and despair. She had nothing left only the imminent horror of her doom and the deep hollow regret within her very being, that the great lord still rejected her and her ascension to glory and the light.

All hope is gone, I'm sorry brother...

Her eyes burned with fresh tears as her fate was sealed.

She had spent too much time away from her Holy jewel, her purpose and pure link to Heaven, changing and turning her closer than she ever thought possible. She had become human.

Melissa screamed out in despair as the blade of death neared her throat and a grinning Father Thomas snatched the chalice and brought it in close below her neck. It was at that epiphany that Melissa finally let go, stopped fighting and dropped her arms and fell back away, numb to emotion and life.

I have lost. The battle is over...

"Leave her, Nooooooooo!" Screamed her brother nearby.

A sound of anguish, but his voice, held no power over Baal. Melissa tried to turn her head, to look upon her brother's beautiful face one last time, that pureness of heaven, but Samael was outside her vision and the burning cold sensation had started on the side of her neck as death came.

The iciness turned to fire, as the blade was drawn under her chin from right to left, from ear to ear and within seconds Melissa struggled to pull oxygen into her lungs a numbing sensation tingled all through her body, crawling at first under her skin then penetrating deeper, as nerve endings died and all her lifeforce poured from her.

Again the crystal fought against the inevitable, holding onto her life force and pulling more and more holy energy in....no...it did not fight her death, it fought against the darkness, the evil of the knife and Baal's immoral designs. It pulled her within itself and the two energies of light versus dark fought and she was the vessel of this ancient war.

Melissa smiled, a satisfying smile...but maybe, just maybe she could still win...there was still hope.

Hope...