Chapter 53

Aimee

The last lunge of the red blade, aimed to pierce Aimee's heart, was an overstretch by the Daemon, so Aimee took the advantage of the mistake and snapped her free hand down hard against its wrist, who squealed in shock more than in pain and the crimson blade clattered to the stone floor. Now on the offensive, Aimee brought her knee up as a diversion, forcing the attacker to choose to either receive a broken nose or to try and swing their other weapon for Aimee's exposed right. They chose the weapon.

Thud...Thud...Thud...the heartbeat calling her - Where is she?

Aimee snarled in triumph falling forwards with all her weight catching the Daemon by surprise and pushing Ardour under his arm, he burst into flames as he fell to the stone floor. Bex and Tiff had reluctantly agreed to stay behind and protect her back from anyone coming in through the door and the opposite flight of stairs. Both appeared to be coping well together, as she heard Bex chastising Tiff for being too careless in her attacks.

Thud, Thud, Thud...the beat quickening...

Aimee forced her way down the stairs into the chamber, dispatching Daemon after Daemon as they confronted her, relying on her training and instincts, her gaze unflinching, focused on where she had first spied the small girl on the far side of the dais, who's horrifying scream earlier had chilled her heart. Aimee thought she could see a pale foot peeking out behind the altar. The girl must have collapsed on the stone floor after touching the dark liquid in a silver font. Steam rose from the foreign liquid as it appeared to bubble and move.

Thud-Thud-Thud...even faster

Father Thomas's high-pitched cackle of laughter punctured above the violent throng of fighting around her, the High Priest stood where the girl lay, staring down, a smile splitting his face ear to ear.

So Liana is correct, he is the traitor of the Vatican City murders...and now he is mine!

The anger overwhelmed all her emotions, as her Aura poured into her. She elbowed and kicked away another wild attack from a Daemon, knocking the beast to the stone floor for Ardour to send it to hell. She shifted past another Daemon, and he became burning ash.

"Kill her! Kill the Exile!" bellowed Father Thomas as he noticed how rapidly she moved towards him. Aimee stood up and frowned at the High Priest, pointing at her, as half of his guard turned to face her and edged nervously forwards. The red glow of eyes under the hoods.

Come to Mumma scum!

Aimee ignored the creeping Daemons and had eyes only for the priest, as the traitor bent down and picked up the girl, the other half of his guard stared anxiously into the chamber hall to Aimee's right. She followed their worried gazes and tried to peer at what had them distracted.

The chamber ebbed and flowed with blue hooded monks, like waves of an ocean, attempting to swarm over a loan figure his bare chest covered in blood both human and Daemon. The person held no weapon but fought with their bare hands, incredibly holding their own, against blood red cursed weapons attempting to stop them. One Daemon blocking Aimee's view of the figure fell backwards, inky blood pouring through his fingers as he tried to hold his jaw together.

Time slowed as the loan warrior snapped their head towards her, long brown sweat-soaked hair covering their eyes but there was no mistaking that jawline, that gorgeous heart-stopping face.

Ashley...

Something struck him from behind and he was forced to turn away and defend himself pulling his hidden gaze from her, but Aimee stared back dumbfounded unable to fathom how he was here, let alone giving a horde of Daemons a good kicking.