Date Night

Samantha

It's been a whirlwinds few months and I was kind of looking forward to everything settling down for once. Then of course it doesn't and now I'm trying to figure out what kind of crib I want and what drills to run at practice. There was a lot going on and I was kind of a mess. Stress isn't good for me or the baby so I needed to take a step back for a second or two. So Corey decided tonight was date night and it wasn't about the baby or hockey, but just him and I.

So I find a nice dress that shows off the baby bump that was there if you really really look. Now that we told the people we wanted to tell and the world knows from the ESPN piece I was okay with showing off what I have. That and now that it's actually kind of noticeable since I was getting into the second trimester. Once I was dressed I do my hair and pull on my favorite earrings. I find Corey in the kitchen making grocery list of foods he wanted. I walk over and wrap my arms around his waist.

"You ready to go" he asks.

"Yup" I assure him.

He turns around in my arms and just smiles big as he looks me over. "You look so beautiful" he says softly making me blush.

"I feel like a balloon" I insist.

"You feel like a mother" he corrects as he wraps his arms around me too. He pulls me into his chest and I smile. "I think you have never looked more beautiful than you do now."

"You're just saying that because I talked crap about myself" I accuse.

"No. I'm saying it because it's true. Each time I look at you I know it's the most beautiful thing I will ever see. Then I'm going to see you, and the baby, and I'm probably going to cry a lot because I can't think of anything more beautiful that that" he chuckles.

"You're not a crier" I argue.

"I'm not" he agrees, "but my rules never did apply to you."

We take off into the city to a nice little Mexican restaurant. I like to eat local, support this great city and enjoy all it has to offer. So we get seated and I look over the menu. I've been craving nothing but Mexican food as of late and Corey knew that. So he took me here to slow things down for a little and enjoy what we have, not what isn't here yet.

"I was looking at cribs the other day" Corey starts. "I know you will want one in our room and then one in the babies room. The one is our room can go next to the bed. And we can get the one that the side slides down so we can get the baby in and out easily. I read those can be dangerous so I think we should look more into which one to get" he rambles.

"Babe, we don't have to talk about the baby right now" I insist.

"I'm sorry" he sighs. "I just want everything to be perfect for you and the baby" he shrugs.

I look across the table before reaching over and resting my hand on his. "Do you think that you're not enough for us" I question.

I see his big brown eyes met mine as they showed a hint of a pain. "I mean... a little" he admits. "I just, I've never done this before. I haven't had to raise a kid or do it while playing hockey. I hear all these stories the other guys tell, I see how much they miss their family when they're on the road. I want to give you the best life possible, you and the baby. And I'm scared that I can't do that. So I'm trying to do everything I can so I can be here for you and be what I need to be" he explains.

"But at what costs" I ask him. "You're going to lose yourself trying to be more than a man. Everything I need, everything this baby needs you have. You can buy the best cribs and fancy toys but that doesn't make you a good dad. What makes you a good dad is the fact that we don't even have a name or the babies room done but you already love it so much. You have the right to feel unprepared, nothing will prepare us for what is going to happen once the baby is here.

But we only have so many date nights left like this before everything changes. We shouldn't spend it worried about something we don't yet understand" I explain.

He slowly nods his head as he lets out a sigh. "You're right. I just don't want you to think that I'm not going to help or try or want to be a part of this. Because I do, with every fiber of my being I do. I want to be with you forever" he claims.

"Then be with me here, and now while you can" I say.

He smirks as his eyes finally lighten. "Yes Ma'am."

We have a wonderful dinner filled with laughs and shameless flirting. We might have been together for a little while now but everything still feels so fresh. Every day is a adventure with him. Whether it's hockey or dates or hanging out with my brother and mother. I always have such a wonderful time with him and I really hope he gets that.

After dinner we decide to go for a walk. The city is beautiful in the spring time, with it being so close to the playoffs and the summer this city seems to come to life. And although most people say it's not safe to walk around here at night, that goes for anywhere you're at. Most people in this city just want to have a good time, drink, watch sports, see all the beautiful sights this place has to offer. There's no trouble if you don't start any so I knew I was safe walking around. It does help to have a goalie boyfriend who will protect you like you protect a net.

We walk together step for step as we just look around. We get to the busier parts of the city and I keep my eyes up. The buildings here were so tall but they hold such personality.

"Look at that" Corey says as he points up to a building.

It looked like a apartment complex where people have things hanging up in their window. I see my jersey up in someone's window and it made me smile so big. Someone in this city thought I was cool enough to have my jersey hanging up. That's pretty cool.