Check Up

Corey

After talking things over with Sam and hearing her concerns about playing here in Chicago I took it upon myself to talk to the head people themselves to see if we can work something out. I don't know anything about contracts or what Q would do with her once she was on the team but none of that mattered if she never signed with us anyway.

So I sat down with Stan Bowman and Coach Q to talk about what it would take for her to come onto the team. We didn't get into specifics about money or terms, just about availability and her role on the team. Since she didn't get drafted or traded she would be on a entry level contract and sigh a PTO to ever get her on the team. Plus we were set on goalies right now so it would have to move a few things around to ride the season with three goalies because we would be down a D-Man or foreword. We would have to pray the defense stays healthy and that they all handle their assignments but I believe in our team.

But Stan and Q both truly believed she would be able to play here with us. Even if she doesn't play they want her around to get used to the system and see what needs to happen so she is comfortable playing in the NHL once she decided it was time. That and they don't want her to play for someone else and have to play against her. They've seen first hand what she can do and if she practiced a few times I'm sure she will be unstoppable.

So I go back to her house where she was sleeping in for once. She's been extra tired since the Olympics but that time change was no joke and she barley slept while she was there. I let myself into her house and find her asleep on the couch. I walk over and softly move her hair out of her face. She stirs a little before her eyes flutter open. I see the icy blue eyes I feel in love with the moment I saw them and it just made me smile.

"You're home" she smiles big as she sits up. She pulls me into a hug and I hesitate at first but hug her back.

"Woah, what's that about" I wonder.

After she stayed the night the other day I had a three game road trip so it had been a while since I got to see her. But still, she isn't usually this clingy, not that I was complaining.

"I just really need to talk to you" she claims.

"I need to talk to you too" I insist. "I just got done talking to Coach Q and Stan" I tell her.

Her eyes get big as a little gasp pass her lips. "Really" she asks.

"Yeah. We were figuring out a way to have you and Raanta in the line up while making sure everyone still plays. It's a little sticky right now but they have a plan. It would of course be a entry level contract but I told them you don't care about the money. They just really want you to be a part of the organization, find a place for you because you belong with us in the NHL" I explain.

"I can't play for you guys" she insists and I let out a grunt.

"Sam" I whine.

"Corey... I'm pregnant" she says and I stop. The whole world stops as I stare right at her. I'm sure she could see the fear in my eyes as I try not to freak out. "I can't play because I'm pregnant."

Suddenly a smile comes up on my face as it sets in. She smiles back at me as I grab her face. "You're not saying this so I leave it alone" I ask and she laughs.

"No Corey, I'm not making this up. I went for my check up as planned and they checked me out. I had a concussion but they wanted to check my blood to do the total check up. They called me this morning and said I was pregnant. I took a test and they were all positive" she claims as she grabs something behind her. She pulls up four positive pregnancy tests and I smile so big.

"Oh my god, you're really pregnant. We're having a kid! Wait... it's mine right" I ask and she laughs. She playfully pushes my chest as I laugh along with her.

"You're the worst" she claims.

"Actually that's you. This just ruined my plans to getting you into the NHL this year" I tease.

"This just means that our kid will be able to watch us play together some day if things work out" she says.

"I'll talk to Q and Stan again but I think we can have you still be a part of the organization as a coach or goalie specialist. That way when you're ready you can play" I explain.

"Do you... do you want to keep the kid" she asks carefully. I pull her into my chest as I rub her back.

"Of course I want to keep the kid. I know this wasn't planned and probably not the best time but I want a family with you Sam. I can't think of a better person to be the mother of my kids or someone I would rather spend the rest of my life with. I truly think this is a blessing, a gift. With life being so crazy and with the future being so uncertain I think this is the perfect reason to slow things down and know one thing for certain. That this kid will be loved and appreciated and a permanent part of our future" I explain.

"I'm kinda scared. The only experience I have with raising kids is Shawn. And he had mom doing most of the heavy lifting" she explains.

"You're going to be an amazing mother. This love you give is one of a kind and it defies all laws of nature. There's some people who are just born to be mothers and you're one of them. I can't wait to start a family with you" I claim.

"People are going to start talking" she says. "We've been together for four months and I was supposed to be the first woman in the NHL. This goes against a lot of things."

"Let them talk. Because if you ask me my life didn't start until you came along so I've known you my whole life. And I'll love you forever" I promise.

"So were really going to do this" she asks.

"Yeah, we are. And when you're ready you'll play in the NHL. You'll be the first mother to do so and you'll be the baddest mother out there" I promise.