Chapter 24: Dragon

Alidorim clung to the handle of his sword for dear life. The torrents of wind threatened to dislodge him. The blade hadn't penetrated the dragon's body but was jammed between two massive scales. Venomfang spun and twisted doing everything he could to remove him.

Glancing down he saw that they were still relatively close to the ground. If he leaped, he stood a chance at survival. But that left a mostly intact and enraged dragon in the air. He had to bring the beast to the ground or there would be nowhere they could flee.

Even as he flipped his arming sword around, his mind railed, "This is such a bad idea!" Before he could talk himself out of it, he released the handle of his other weapon. Flying backward he stabbed the length of steel downward. With a sound like tearing fabric, the thin wing membrane parted. Venomfang's shriek of pain was drowned out by the roar of the wind as Alidorim plummeted earthward.

The Dragonborn barely had time to cover his face before the bright greens of a tree canopy filled his vision. Twigs and limbs stabbed, poking and gouging at his body. Stout branches smacked his chest, back, and shoulders. After an eternity of being pummeled Alidorim crashed to the ground. The wind flew from his lungs and he had to gasp in order to reclaim it.

He only had a brief moment to realize he'd landed near the village square when a massive green form plowed into the earth. Ruined walls crumbled and the statue in the center of the square wavered and fell.

Alidorim would've smiled if it didn't hurt to breathe. His sense of victory was short-lived as he detected movement within the dust kicked up by the impact. A large form was rising and even through the haze, he saw the hate in its eyes. Alidorim struggled to get to his feet but his arms and legs wouldn't obey.

"Ah...Here I was looking for that cursed Strixiki," the Dragonborn froze at the words, "Instead I find a demon." Standing near the center of the square the Dragon was prowling towards a small quivering form.

"Yulia!" Recovering his weapon, he levered himself upward. Though his left leg refused to bear weight, he managed to stand. Growling he staggered forward.

Terrified, Yulia turned and started to run. Venomfang was instantly in her path, teeth bared. She gasped and stumbled backward. The dragon slowly stalked his prey.

"Y-y-you d-d-dragon!" she cried, eyes wide with terror.

"How perceptive of you, child," he growled raising one of its claws to strike.

Alidorim's legs pumped madly as he cleared the courtyard in several great strides. Venomfang's claws came down, shattering the cobblestones where Yulia had just been standing. Alidorim tumbled across the ground clutching the Tiefling to his chest. The moment they rolled to a halt, the Dragonborn shoved the girl behind his back and brandished his sword.

"There you are," the dragon purred with sadistic glee.

Alidorim tried to not let the pain show on his face. Though his leg was starting to feel better, his chest still ached from his landing. He'd hoped to get clear of the village and rejoin Yulia and Lesmythe while the dragon tended its wounds. Olkith hadn't expected to find Yulia alone! Had something happened to the slave? He couldn't think about her right then. His sole focus had to be protecting Yulia and getting out alive.

"Everything will be okay, Yulia," Alidorim growled clutching his weapon.

"Precious," chuckled the great green one flexing its haunches, "You really think you can save the little one." It suddenly leaped way faster than Alidorim anticipated. A vicious backhand sent Olkith flying to the base of the fallen statue. "I want your blood!" Venomfang lunged again, but the Dragonborn recovered enough to dodge. He narrowly avoided the snap of its jaws, but not it's tail. He gasped as the air rushed from his lungs again. Crashing to the ground he struggled to draw breath. Something warm dripped down from his scalp.