Chapter 5: Road

Alidorim had been adrift in the empty warm blackness for who knew how long when he was suddenly ripped back to full consciousness. He was on his feet weapons in hand ready to defend his camp from the intruders. Taking up a battle stance he scanned about for the threat. The forest was calm and dark beyond the glow of the waning firelight. All was quiet save for the terrified squeals issuing from the tiny bundle of wool next to him.

"Pazmyr!" Yula screamed, "Oizmyr!" She thrashed about clawing at the air, repeating the same two words over and over. "Pazmyr! Oizmyr!" In between cries, her body shook with uncontrolled sobs. Rivulets of tears ran down her cheeks. Her arms reached out as if they were trying to grasp something, but every time they closed on air her screams returned anew. "Pazmyr! Oizmyr!"

Roots and rocks be damned! Nothing spoiled a night's sleep faster than a shrieking child. Alidorim wasn't sure what to do. All he knew was that he wanted her to stop yelling. It was playing hell with his nerves. Yulia sounded like a rabbit caught in a trap. Her screams might bring unwanted attention even that deep in the wilds.

Finally, he knelt down next to her. "Yulia!" he called out, "Yulia wake up!" But the sound of her name only caused her to scream those same two words again. This time she sat up, eyes still closed and yelling 'pazmyr' and 'oizmyr' at the top of her lungs. Alidorim reaches forward intending to shake her awake. The moment his fingers brushed her arms she calmed. At least when she said 'pazmyr' and 'oizmyr' again it was in hushed tones.

The Dragonborn paused before scooping the still sleeping girl into his arms and cradling her. Her tiny body still shuddered with sobs, but she no longer screamed. As he held her close Yulia continued to murmur 'pazmyr' and 'oizmyr' over and over. Eventually, the murmurs faded until only soft snoring remained.

Alidorim exhaled in relief. Stillness returned to the forest and his nerves could finally relax. He attempted to return the girl to her own bedroll but instantly recoiled when the sobbing began anew. Sighing in exasperation the Dragonborn resigned himself to a long night.

By the time daybreak rolled around, Alidorim was certain he had never experienced a worse night's rest. True, he'd eventually nodded off, but sitting up holding a tiny Tiefling wasn't exactly an ideal rest position.

For her own part, Yulia looked shocked beyond belief when she awoke in the large warrior's arms. Alidorim awoke when he felt the girl squirm out of his grip. Her expression was a mixture of fear and indignation. He wanted to be irritated but was honestly too tired to muster up the emotion. Instead, he busied himself getting breakfast ready.

Breakfast ended up being yet another trail ration. Yulia ate hers with gusto, her earlier mood forgotten. Alidorim ate a bit more sedately. The moment the girl had finished he figured it was as good a time as any to broach the subject.

"What is pazmyr oizmyr?" The way she screamed them over and over meant the words had to be important. Maybe someone important. Yulia appeared to recognize the words but was unsure of what he was asking. Thinking as quickly as his sleep-deprived mind would allow, he glanced about, trying to figure out how best to phrase the question. Finally, he pointed back the way they had come and grasped a handful of ash. "Your companion. Was he pazmyr oizmyr?"

Yula seemed to understand part of what he was asking or least what his gestures implied. "La, la," she said shaking her head, before copying the digging motion and pointing at the ashes of the fire. "Mot siw Urcis. Urcis."

Wanting to be sure he got her meaning Ulkith pointed at himself, "Alidorim," Pointed at the girl, "Yulia," then pointed behind him and then at the ash, "Urcis?"