Chapter 17: Guild

Buildings towered over him along either side of the cobblestone street. There was no escaping the dull roar of the populous. The air was choked by more scents than Alidorim could identify. Straddling the river Neverwinter dwarfed every town and village he'd even been too. Its scale rivaled the port cities of Tymanther. A myriad of different species, mostly human, choked the lanes forcing the Dragonborn to carry Yulia. The city was far more then what Alidorim had anticipated. While one hand cradled the girl the other clutched at the hilt of his sword.

Alidorim made his way through the laneways pausing only to get directions from reluctant passersby's. Even in a place as diverse as Neverwinter, he was still an uncommon sight. Having plenty of time to think about it, Alidorim figured the best course of action would be to register as soon as possible. The sooner he did so the quicker he would garner work. It wasn't long before they found themselves outside the Guild Hall.

A few copper pieces covered the fee and after filling out some paperwork Alidorim Olkith was officially registered...as a Level One adventurer. A damn beginner. He did his best not to vent his frustration to the secretary. She was only doing her job, plus...Yulia was watching. All new registrants had to start as a novice, no matter how experienced they were. Unfortunately, that would limit his job choices.

"Clearing sewers," he grumbled making his way to the Guild's bar. Though his pride rebelled at the idea he knew he would have to start somewhere. He ordered food for both Yulia and himself. After selling some of his homebrewed medicines they could afford to binge a little. Yulia was beside herself with awe. Her head snapped left and right to take in everything she could. Triboar was nothing compared to Neverwinter in her eyes.

"We...home father?" she asked as the bartender set their plates down. The man sniffed at the Tiefling. He quickly departed at a growl from the Dragonborn. The girl paid no heed. She was engrossed in her food and new environment. While he wasn't set on establishing a residence in the city, Neverwinter would make a fine base of operations for the time being. At least until he gained rank in the guild.

"...need you to protect me while I harvest herbs near Thundertree."

Alidorim perked up at the words. Further down the bar sat a young man with long bangs, smartly dressed. He was speaking to four adventures: an elf, a human, a dwarf, and a halfling.

"...the catch, kid?" the elf asked. Wearing half-plate armor, and armed with a long-sword, Alidorim pegged him as a fighter.

"Thundertree has become inhabited by monsters since it was abandoned," the young man, their patron explained, "Twig Blights and Spiders." He visibly shuddered. "I hate spiders."

Getting a good look at the party, Alidorim noticed certain details. The human wore lightweight armor and carried a short bow, long knife, and a buckler. "A ranger." The fighter and ranger were as old as the young man if a bit more seasoned. The dwarf had almost a decade on the pair, with a beard and gut to match. His fur-trimmed robes and animal totems signified him as some sort of druid. The halfling, Alidorim was surprised to see, wielded a magician's staff. Their gear was modest at best but well used. Their silver tags still gleamed in the low light. "Level Five's." Alidorim glanced down at his copper tag in disgust.

After telling Yulia to finish eating he approached the group. "I hear you need an escort." The young man visibly flinched at the Dragonborn's presence but quickly recovered. Though he smiled pleasantly the party didn't look too enthused by his arrival.

"I am, sir but-."

"He was talking to us, scaly," the fighter growled rising to glare at the new arrival. Even at full height the elf barely came up to Olkith's chest. From his pointy ears to his conceded expression, he reminded Alidorim so much of... "that bitch." The Dragonborn maintains his composure despite old hatreds stirring within.