Chapter 14: Contentment

Early the next morning Adabra and the cook stood outside the kitchen preparing to see the pair off.

"Here," Adabra said holding out a handful of ointments they'd created in their short time together. "This should hold you awhile." Alidorim nodded his thanks. Inside were the healing, cold, and sleeping vials they'd concocted. Though not the most powerful of medicines, they would do. Adabra's lessons, on the other hand, would be invaluable. He attempted to thank the healer by offering fair compensation but was quickly dismissed.

"And this is for my little helper," Tevon said handing Yulia a small bag.

The Tiefling sniffed the contents and her eyes lit up. "I have these?" The cook nodded and smiled. Yulia thanked him with the fervor only a child could possess.

"Don't spoil your lunch," Alidorim ordered, making the girl pout.

With a smirk, the cook said in a stage whisper, "If you run out, have your papa make some more." Alidorim blanched at the words.

Yulia gapped in amazement. "Father you make these?"

Sighing yet again, Olkith said, "I...can try."

The cook groaned. "Idiot," he mumbled so only the adults could hear, "You're supposed to promise." Alidorim glared and Adabra stifled yet another laugh. For her part, the healer insisted if they were ever around the village of Phandalin to look her up. She'd like to see how his skills as a herbalist had improved. The Dragonborn made no promises but he did thank her again for the lessons.

With that, they turned and headed north away from the ranch. After waving goodbye for the third time the Tiefling took hold of the warrior's hand. They'd done it enough times now Yulia needed no prompting. Her little hand enveloped his index finger as if that's where it belonged.

"I can do much helping now, father," she exclaimed, glowing with pride, "I even wash clothes next time!" Alidorim nodded but made no comment. His mind was on the path ahead. The road had the Neverwinter Woods to the west and Starmetal Hills to the east. They were still two days from the river and the barge that would take them straight through the forest to the City of its Namesake. His ultimate destination was almost within reach. And yet...

"What will I do when I get there?" he thought. Alidorim had banked on finding Yulia a home sooner, but the longer they traveled together the less sure he was that he'd ever find one. The child was content to be with him. He doubted that even if he found a willing family, she'd ever willingly part from him.

Unfortunately, her presence would make acquiring any work difficult. He had no guild or reputation in the area. His only real chance was getting a job by virtue of being a Dragonborn. But that still left Yulia. He couldn't drag a child with him to clear ruins or hunt monsters.

"Father? You like one?" Glancing down he saw that Yulia was holding one of the cooks treats up to him.

"Damn," he thought as he took the morsel and popped it into his mouth. It was indeed delicious, nearly as sweet as the girl's smile. A breeze tossed her curls and the morning sun made her eyes sparkle like river stones. It was difficult to reconcile the bright young girl with the frightened child on the edge of the Evermoors. Looking at her now Alidorim couldn't imagine what his life would be without Yulia. As he watched the unbridled joy roll off her tiny porcelain face, he felt his throat tighten. Alidorim sighed as he felt that aching pain in his chest again. "When did that happen?"

Maybe it was the night of the storm. Or maybe in the back alleys of Triboar. Or over the course of the days he'd taught her to speak common. It may have even happened the moment he rescued her from the goblins. But at some point Alidorim Olkith, Dragonborn, disgraced warrior and adventurer... had truly become more than Yulia's guardian.

"C'mon father!" Yulia called out pulling on his arm to make him walk faster, "Still long way to Neverwinter!"