Chapter 3: Traveler

On the road, a proper rest was always an elusive thing. No matter which way Alidorim slept he always managed to find a rock or a gnarled root. Even with a bedroll he awoke the next morning cramped and sore. Fortunately, a long journey always loosened his muscles right up and he had a very long way to the next town.

Despite having left late in the day Alidorim managed to put a respectable distance between himself and Everlund. Only once the first bits of moonlight pierced the canopy did he stop.

It had occurred to him on the first night that coin wasn't the only thing he'd been shorted on. The Reeve had never given him a taste of his prized Goulash. Damn! True, he'd left in a hurry, but that still didn't stop him from lamenting the lost meal. It certainly would've beaten trail rations.

"Guess I'll never know," He sighed preparing for an early breakfast. Since he was unable to sleep, he might as well eat. At least he had the foresight to save the meal from the Tavern. Though the food was cold it served as a fine way to prepare him for the road ahead.

Traveling westward, Alidorim had stuck to the southern edges of the Evermoors, avoiding the worst of the marshlands. His path would trace south of a pair of mountain ranges bisected by the River Surbrin. On the east side of the river stood the smaller range dominated by Flint Rock. According to his map, another pricey purchase, he was still two days from the mountains.

Before recovering his sword and leaving town Olkith had taken the opportunity to restock his supplies. Long travels and lean jobs had drained much of his resources. Sparing what coin he could, he obtained fifteen days' worth of rations, the aforementioned map, and refilled his wine and water skin.

Unable to spare the money Alidorim had declined the services of a healer. Though his arm still pained him the injury wasn't life-threatening. He settled for a clean bandage, and a murmured blessing. The pain was just another thing he'd learn to bare. Unable to purchase additional potions, Olkith settled for a basic healing kit. He'd have to avoid any serious confrontations in the near future. The bandages and herbs would do well for light injuries but against more serious ones...

The Dragonborn growled again, irritated at being reminded at just how destitute he was. For too long he'd been relegated to novice tasks that paid little if they paid at all. After losing all his contacts and networks in the south, Alidorim had discovered that not too many 'northlings' wanted to hire his kind. Not for any respectable jobs, anyway. If half of what he'd heard was true, then Neverwinter and the Sword Coast was the place to be for those desperate for a fresh start.

The morning of the third day started with orange fingers of light clawing their way through the mist of the Evermoors. Alidorim had broken camp and set out long before the first knives of yellow sliced through the treetops.

The road which was little more than a well-used track through the woods bore little sign of recent traffic. No wagon ruts, nor horse droppings. Not even so much as a bent branch. Just an unbroken trail of leaves. A midmorning breeze passed through the trees filling the air with a soft hushing sound. Sunlight sparkled as the leaves danced before the warm rays.

Alidorim breathed deeply, inhaling the various earthy scents. He detected an undercurrent of sweetness to the foliage and could almost taste the moisture on the air. Even more subtly were the heartier smells of the swamp; fetid, but faint with distance. The Dragonborn wondered what new sensations awaited him on the coast. How would it compare to inland smells and tastes?

Taking another deep breath Alidorim tried to pick out the various smells. Most prevalent were evergreens; sweet and sticky. Beneath them were various shrubbery; fern, berry-types, and...

Alidorim's nostrils flared and his hackles rose. The breeze had shifted bringing with it a new scent. Lime mixed with onion, like an unwashed body. Beneath that, copper tainted with iron. It had been some time, but the Dragonborn would never forget those smells.