Chapter 16: Brand

"Once bonded, she'll obey all your commands

"Once bonded, she'll obey all your commands." The Master chuckled darkly, "Even the thought of disobeying will activate the seal." With an expression of leeriness, the dragonkin allowed the Master to prick the tip of his thumb with the small knife. The blood was added to an alchemical formula.

Too weak to offer even a token resistance, the Master easily shoved Lesmythe's arms aside. Dipping a brush into the liquid he traced the outer edge of the slave crest. She knew all too well the pain of disobedience. The moment the circle was complete Lesmythe gasped. Smoke curled up to engulf her face as her flesh sizzled with magical energy.

"What's happening?" the dragonkin demanded.

"Not to worry," the Master said cheerfully, "The pain will dissipate soon."

Crying out, she fell to the floor clutching at her chest. Through the haze of agony, she saw the Dragonkin look on dispassionately. Only the burning of her skin kept her from expressing her misery.

Slowly the pain allayed. It would eventually fade, but the seal always served as a reminder that the agony was never far away. Still gasping for breath Lesmythe managed to sit up.

"She's all yours, my friend," declared her former Master.

Her new Master hefted a leather purse. "Thirty silvers, yes?" The coins hit the counter with a dull clatter of metal. So that's all her life was worth? Thirty pieces of silver? It wasn't enough she was a slave. Lesmythe was a worthless slave by the master's estimate. Somehow that hurt worse than the brand.

"There's two extra here, sir."

The dragonkin didn't bother to look at him. He continued to stare down at his acquisition. Probably wondering if she was even worth half the price. "That's your commission," he growled, "You were going to wring it out of me anyway, right?"

The slaver laughed heartily. "You have a real head for this business."

Lesmythe was still recovering from the application when she felt her new master lean over her. "Now then, I guess I'm supposed to know your name." She tried to speak but the seal had brought about a fresh wave of coughing that threatened to make her vomit. "Well?" he said a bit more sharply, "Tell me your name." The half-elf flinched in anticipation of the seal's activation. "I said what's your name."

She sat up unable to look the beast in the eye. "I'm called... Lesmythe."

"Lesmythe huh?" He said her name slowly, doing his best to pronounce it properly. Sighing in exasperation he reached down and grasped her by the forearm. She whimpered as the dragonkin hauled her up and dragged her bodily towards the door. "Let's go." Behind them, the slaver advised that dragonkin to come back anytime and that they were always open. Lesmythe couldn't help but speculate if dying in her cage was preferable to dying at the hands of the dragonkin.

Lesmythe's new master didn't slow until they were several blocks away from the slave market. The night lay heavy and the moon bright. Its radiance stung her eyes. When she attempted to rub them, the dragonkin let go of her arm. Once her vision cleared, she got her first true glimpse of her owner. He towered over her, wearing black leather armor over blood-red scales. A main of tendrils fell down to his shoulder blades making him look even more beastly. Claws and teeth showed in white contrast to his burning amber eyes. Those eyes glared down at her with cold distrust.