Chapter 10: Crossroads

Boundless. That would be the word Alidorim would use to describe Yulia. Keeping an eye on her was more exhausting than the journey. Despite the many miles they had walked she still moved with limitless speed and energy. If she wasn't attempting to climb a tree she was chasing after some poor animal that happened across the path.

"There you are," he called out as the Teifling stumbled out of a bush onto her backside.

Unembarrassed she flashed the Dragonborn a toothy smile. "Hydda Father!"

It had been several days, and he still wasn't used to the title. "I told you to stay in sight," he grumbled, "Did you forget?"

Standing Yulia moved to walk beside him. "I chase a butterfly," she explained making grand gestures, "but it get away. But I almost caught rabbit-"

The Dragonborn's fingers pinched her mouth shut mid-sentence. "We mustn't be separated on the road," he warned, "You need to remain within my sight."

Julia pushed his hand away and smiled again. "Yyw, I will." She turned and started running again saying, "but not all the time." Alidorim groaned inwardly. It was fortunate he was longer-legged then the girl or she'd outpace him for sure. Laughing Yulia approached the edge of the road near a hill. "Where you at, rabbit?" she asked casting about the bushes. No luck there she moved forward. Yulia was nearing the crest when Alidorim heard her gasp. "Look father!" she yelled pointing and jumping in excitement.

Below them was the town of Triboar, according to the map. Even from a distance, Alidorim could tell it was a lively crossroads settlement full of the hustle and bustle of roaming merchants, caravanners and other travelers. The landscape surrounding the town was lush and well-suited for farming.

"A city!" Yulia exclaimed, "We go visit?" As if there was any other option. Triboar sat on a crossroads. It featured a vast marketplace where local farmers, ranchers, and roadside salespeople offered their wares. It would be the last major settlement they would encounter before reaching Neverwinter. They would need to restock on supplies if they hoped to make it.

The market was packed by the time they arrived. Though he saw no other Dragonborn or Teiflings, Alidorim and Yulia barely stuck out. Humans, Near Humans, and Inhumans mixed during the town's commerce. Yulia was awestruck no matter which direction she looked. Olkith wondered if she'd ever seen a place like Triboar before. "This the biggest City I see," she answered his unasked question.

It was certainly the most prosperous town Alidorim had ever seen. But greater prosperity usually meant greater danger. He was about to warn Yulia about straying too far when he caught sight of her. The girl was squatting next to a cat sunbathing and poking at it curiously. Alidorim kept his grumbles low. She was still a child after all. Sighing he called out to her.

Yulia turned, holding her stomach. Her expression was almost queasy. "Father, I hungry."

Sighing again, Alidorim figured they could spare some coin for a decent meal. Gods knew he'd like one after days of trail rations and the odd bit of wild game. According to a local, the Northshield House was the most reasonable accommodation for those just passing through. The Inn was tidy and unassuming. Once seated Alidorim asked for the most affordable meal.

"Two daily specials it is," the serving wench proclaimed.

The special ended up being mushroom stuffed bottom-feeder. Yulia looked uncertain but once Alidorim began eating his meal, she delved into her own. After the first tentative bite, her eyes lit up and she began scarfing it. The server was pleasant enough, though a little invasive with her questions. As it turned out Dragonborn weren't an uncommon sight along the Sword Coast but paired with Tiefling, and a young one like that naturally drew attention.