Chapter 11: Search

"Stupid, stupid!" Alidorim thought savagely

"Stupid, stupid!" Alidorim thought savagely. Yulia had been entirely too quiet. That should've been his first clue. Instead of focusing on the swindler he should've been paying closer attention to the girl. Of course, she would've gotten bored and wandered off. Just like in the market and before that in the wilds. When something caught her eye, Yulia was almost compelled to investigate.

Out on the street he carefully scanned his surroundings. Yulia was small, so she wouldn't have gotten far. Sure, enough he caught a glimpse of her red hair and cloak whipping out of sight down an ally. Alarm bells sounded in his mind. What could have possibly drawn her there?

Alidorim took off at a sprint. The crowd was dense and those that didn't move were barreled over. He ignored the curses and offered no apologies. Reaching the alley, he had to brace against the wall to keep from crashing into it. There was no sign of the girl. He hurried down the narrow way, noting no open doors or exits that she could've disappeared in to.

Reaching the end of the alley he crossed a wide street. He paused long enough to ask a group of workers if they'd seen Yulia. One man said he saw a girl matching her description pass through. "Was she alone?" he inquired.

The man shook his head. "Was following some stray cat."

A...cat? He recalled Yulia's fascination with the sunbathing cat from the previous morning. That girl and her curiosity were sure to get her in trouble, or worse hurt. When he found her, the scolding was going to be legendary.

Alidorim sprinted off in the direction the worker had indicated. He came to a stairway which the warrior cleared in a single jump. The moment he landed Olkith spotted the Tiefling several meters down the lane. She was standing outside a doorway. Before he could call out to her Yulia was yanked across the threshold. He could just hear her cry of alarm before it was cut off by a slamming door.

Terror filled every fiber of his being. It felt like the ground had shifted beneath him and he had no way of maintaining control. For a brief moment, Alidorim was sure he saw a human-sized arm covered in fur reach out and grab her.

Yulia had not merely wandered off. She had been kidnapped!

The Dragonborn ran to where he last saw her. It was a heavy door fixed into a high wall. Another alley entrance, perhaps? No, the opening at the top was too wide. So, a closed-in courtyard. Somehow, he had to find a way around or through.

"Why so pale, child?" a raspy voice purred. Alidorim stiffened at the strange tone of voice. "You were persistent. I like persistence in my kids."

Whoever or whatever was with Yulia, by their nature alone they meant her ill. Alidorim had to get to her and fast. But how damn it?

There was a rustle of fabric and he heard Yulia squeak in fear. "A Tiefling," the voice growled in surprise. "A pretty one at that. How delightful."