Chapter 20: Job

Night had just draped itself across the land as Yulia's head rested in Lesmythe's lap. Though surprised the half-elf remained still. Instead, she draped her cloak about the girl to stave off the night's chill. The Tiefling would be tired. An afternoon of picking herbs and chasing every bit of wildlife she could find was bound to take a toll.

"Eat," Alidorim said, presenting Lesmythe with a fish skewered on a stick. She hesitated but then quickly took the offered food. Since leaving the city the woman had been silent, focusing on whatever task he set before her. Every so often he'd catch her looking at him her mouth open as if to speak. Then she'd rethink the notion and look away. Olkith had been content to ignore it while they worked but sitting across the fire the awkward stares needed to be addressed.

"Something you want to ask?" Lesmythe flinched slightly, but not enough to wake Yulia. She shook her head, suddenly becoming much more interested in her meal. Even in the low light, he could see the pink tinge in her ears. "Speak."

Lesmythe winced rubbing at her slave crest. His command hadn't activated it, but she appeared to anticipate its effect at any given moment. Like a phantom pain. Swallowing she obeyed, "I w-was wondering, who-who are you?"

"That was it?" Alidorim thought. Not sure why, but he'd expected a more interesting question. Shrugging he answered, "I'm a Dragonborn Adventurer."

She blinked, her ears going a shade pinker. "Dragonborn!" she exclaimed in a high whisper, ever conscious of the girl in her lap. "The slave race of the dragons?" Alidorim cocked his head at her and nodded. Her expression had changed as if she were reevaluating a preconceived notion. When pressed she said in a shame-filled voice, "I-I'm sorry master. I-I had assumed you were a dragonkin."

Alidorim's temper flared at the word. He barely kept it under control. Dragonkin or Half-dragons were the results of magically infusing dragons with humans. It was an abomination of the highest order and half-dragons were almost always in service to the evil chromatic dragons. Dragonborn were birthed naturally, though their species origin remained a mystery. Either from the blood of the sundered god Io, or spat forth from the mouth of Bahamut, Dragonborn was as natural a race as elves, dwarves, and humans.

Most half-dragons were slightly bigger than their non-dragon parent and displayed features of their dragon parent. These draconic features could be as subtle as serpentine slit pupils, or so prominent that the subject appeared like a Dragonborn with wings and tail. As such he couldn't blame a life-long slave to know the difference if she'd never met one.

"S-so you're really a Dragonborn?" Alidorim nodded tossing another log onto the fire. Through the sparks and smoke, he could see the woman staring at him with a new sense of curiosity and wonder. Her thoughts were interrupted by another bout of coughing. He'd hoped the medicine would've cured her ailment.

"Na! mazmyr, oizmyr! na!" The shudder of the half-elf's body must've startled Yulia enough to bring out the nightmares. If Alidorim ever expected to get a decent night's sleep they'd need more of the sleeping draft. Lesmythe panicked at the child's outburst, unsure what to do. Alidorim was already on his feet and scooping the girl into his arms. Holding her close he hushed her gently. "Pazmyr, oizmyr," she mumbled before falling back into a fitful sleep.

Alidorim retook his seat resigning himself to another long night. As he sat he noticed the half-elf looking at Yulia with a concerned gaze. "Mother and father," he answered her unasked question, "that's what she said."

She blinked several times before staring sadly into the flames. "So, then they're..."

"Dead, yes," Alidorim finished. Through the heat of the flames, he could see the light reflected in unshed tears. A cloud of empathy settled over the woman. "Another orphan," he thought. He shouldn't have been surprised. All slaves had parents at one point, but their partings were never gentle. Being half-elf meant at least one of them was human and as such Lesmythe would've been shunned by greater elf society. He wondered if they had viewed her the same way as the men in the tavern.