Chapter 15

After exchanging contacts with Ika and Reina, I went to the nearest convenience store and bought some bento for dinner.
On my way back to my apartment, a few tall, muscular men in a black suit stop me. They look like bodyguards of some sort.

"Are you Karma?" They ask.
"...No."

...

One of them look at the other and they exchange glances. Before finally comparing me to a photo, they nod and apologizes for taking up my time.

What's going on? Is someone looking for me?

...it might just be a hypothesis but I think that one of the players are probably rich and he is mad at me for getting first. Thus, he sends people to take me down or capture me for some sort of bribery or negotiation to force me to drop out of the game.

I might need to bring my wooden kendo sword with me when I go out soon.

I reach home and heave a sigh of relief when my home is not trashed and broken into. They probably haven't figured out my address yet. Damn it, should I live at my grandparent's house for the time being?

No no, I should not think too much yet.
------
The next morning, I wake up to the sound of the doorbell.

Someone knocked on my door and shouts "Karma! Are you there! It's Aki!!"

Ughh...

I reluctantly open the door.
"Shut up, you will disturb the neighbour."

"Ok ok, sorry."

I sigh and let him in.

"Chrysanthemum tea? Or just coke. I only have these two."
"Coke." Replies Aki.

I pour a cup of Coke for him and place it at the coffee table in the middle of this small, cramped apartment.

Since I'm poor. The apartment I have only consisted of a toilet, kitchen and the main room which I can only place a bed, a small tv, a coffee table between and my study table beside the tv.

"What do you want?" I ask.
"Uh, firstly...how? How did you get so good at games all of a sudden?! And you even became a womanizer." Says Aki.
"Womanizer my ass, those girls are only my teammates."
"Yeah! That's the point! I don't even have teammates which are girls at our side!"
"Probably because you guys look perverted?" I say.
"As if you are one to talk! And that girl, Reina, is a beauty too!"

I sigh.

"I have my tricks okay...Let's just say I was very lucky."

...

Aki sighs. This atmosphere is weird.

"Fine, I don't know how you did that but can you at least let me join your team? I want to help-"

I slam the table with my cup once he says that and I start to glare at him.

"W-What..."
"Sorry, I've been kind of moody lately," I say. "But no. Those girls don't feel comfortable around that many boys."

"Eh...oh okay." Says Aki.

"In case you don't know, Reina was almost assaulted by a man when I rescue her. You don't need me to say anymore right?"

"What? Really?! If that's the case, I understand."

...

"So? Anything else?" I ask.
"Ah! Yes, also be careful. I heard a player called Silverfish is tracking you down. He is Lim Kong, the son of the CEO of the latest popular phone brand."

Silverfish...Lim Kong, that guy? Pfft. I see.

He is the one who spends ridiculous money on games huh. I bet he must be angry that I didn't spend a single penny and overpowered him by about 30000 points.
He was the second after all.

You can use real-life money as an "investment" to buy in-game stuff. The award is 10 billion so spending a few thousand to become stronger won't hurt. But that Lim Kong idiot spent 1 million to bribe people to protect him and transfer all of their points to him. Some people are desperate for money so they accepted the bribe.

However, to not discriminate between the rich and poor too much. The only thing that can be bought is in-game money. That's all, not gears, not ability stats, or anything.

"Alright, thanks for informing me. You take care of yourself." I say.
"I should say that to you! They may be here at any moment! Should we just call the police-"
"Hmph. I don't need unnecessary attention from the government and police. If Lim Kong's thugs want to come to me, I will gladly comply. Do you think I'm that weak? I learned martial arts-"

!!!!!

I shouldn't have said that!

"Huh? You learned martial arts?! I thought you only learned swordsmanship?!" Says Aki.

No, currently, I don't know any martial arts. Or I'm supposed to not know.

But in the future, martial arts will be needed in 9 stages where weapons are forbidden. That's why I learned a few martial arts.

...

"Yeah yeah, sorry. I meant swordsmanship." I say.
"Jeez, don't confuse me like that." Says Aki.