𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖔𝖓𝖊

Running. 

running was about the only thing that I was good at. After about a year during this authentically messy world, we currently have to live in, running had to be one of the things I picked up. 

I remember as a kid, I would run towards the ice cream truck during the summer when the ground and my face were drenched with the sun's generosity and Gabbie. 

Gabbie is my best friend, and I am not sure if anyone else can take that place. The color of the forest as I run and contemplate everything going on with me at the moment reminds me of her, and her stupid decision. I was with her, and I lost her a few days ago. She didn't die (at least that I know), she ran away. We were herded by the dead, and somehow, fear engulfed her senses, and she fled; she fled the scene, the horror, and was nowhere to be found. Although our ages differ, with her the ladder, it surprises me how she won't stay by my side. 

The herd continuously following me ceases to an end, and I can finally catch my breath alongside a broken tree. I remember the trees that I used to play with during my childhood. My parents were never around during the other seasons, especially in summer. I would tie a tire onto the tree in my shallow backyard and swing on it day after day, reading any stupid childish book I would find at the library that same day; I was 8. 

The moment I lost the herd, footsteps didn't cease. I could feel my eyes roll into the back of my skull until they might've hit my brain, or what's left of it anyway. I grab my knife and scatter my hands through the bushes. Finally, a streak of golden hair, similar to Rapunzel's, or Angelina Jolie's shakes in a human manner. 

Out of nowhere, a girl pops out, screaming, flailing her arms, and racing in the inverse direction as mine. My mind doesn't contact my legs fast enough, and after a few seconds, my legs are on fire once more as I battle the little girl for first place in my imaginary race. 

Finally, I tackle her down, which is probably the worst decision I ever made. If I was in her shoes, I wouldn't leave the stupid bush. 

" Little girl" I screamed, determined to find her. She is a little kid...ya now. When I stopped running for the little girl's voice, I stopped on a piece of wood, to catch my breath. I looked over to a bush, and I saw a rattle. I unleashed my knife from my belt holster and went for the sound. As I crept closer, I noticed a little girl's head peeking out. 

" H-H-Hell-Hello"? She stuttered, not fully revealing her whole self. 

Smart. 

I came closer to her, and put my hand out." Hey, I ain't gonna hurt ya. Names, Jordyn". I said. 

She came out of the bush completely, taking my hand. 

"I-I-I'm Sophia". She said. She was pale, with light freckles. She had blonde hair, that is in a bob kind of length, along with a short-sleeved, long lengthen, blue t-shirt, with blood and dirt all over it, just like mine. I give her a half-smile, as she looks at the trees around me. She tightly grips her stuffed animal, lets out a shriek, and points behind me. I grab my crossbow. Found that sick motherfucker while in a hunting place with Gabbie. I tighten my grip on it, ready for anything. 

It is just a walker. Easy. I aim my crossbow at the thing and press the trigger, releasing the jet-black, yellow-finned, arrow into the air, and between the walker's eyes, sending it down. I walk up to it, put my left foot on its head, and release the arrow from between its eyes, releasing a grunt with that. I load it back into my crossbow and walk back to the little girl. 

" Do you have anyone I can take you back to"? I said as we begin walking to the left from the tracks I found. 

" Highway. Last time I saw my mom and their group was on the highway". She stated. A group. She has a group. Maybe Gabbie was with them. 

" 'Nd you said they were on the highways lastly"? I said, looking at the sky, determined to tell the time. 

"Yes," Sophia replied.

" Hey, how long you've been by yourself"? I asked her. 

" 2 days," She said, nodding her head. 

" Damn. Well, we have lots of sunlight to work with. Let's not waste it. Let's find ya, group kid". I said as I tightened the grip on my crossbow. For some odd reason, I felt a dedication towards finding this girl's parents, or people who were taking care of her. Perhaps if I couldn't find Gabbie, at least I could find her guardians.

So in my mind, that is what I set out to do. Sophia and I became part of the forest as we became scouts for the things that people cannot live without; other people.