4. Shelter

As Rose came around the corner she noticed his car still parked outside, but he was nowhere to be seen. Not until she saw him walk out of the gate complex looking down at his phone.

"Tyler!"

She was panting.

"Fuck, I went to go grab something I didn't read the text—,"

"You don't fucking live here." Tyler interrupted.

Rose sighed, shutting her eyes as she realized she'd been caught.

"I-I didn't want you to know that I was—,"

"That you were actually living in your fucking car? Why didn't you just fucking tell me?"

"I was fucking embarrassed okay?! I didn't want you to know that I fucking ran away from home and that the only way I would've gotten out of everything was to start over. And I thought LA would do that for me; I didn't want you to know the truth." Rose sank down into the ground and massaged her temples.

"Whatever. I should go." She got up and turned. Her eyes were watering.

He sighed.

"Take your keys and follow me."

He passed her the keys and walked over to his car.

"Follow close, I drive fast."

Rose wiped her face as she followed his directions.

...

Rose followed behind his Tesla as they got close to another building a few minutes away from where they were. He drove into the driveway and Rose followed close behind, parking next to him.

"What is this?" Rose shut the car door.

Tyler didn't respond, only giving her a slight look.

She followed him to the fourth floor of the building.

They made their way through a hallway and down to a room numbered 103.

Tyler took the key and unlocked the door.

"Go in," he told Rose.

She looked around, unsure of what to think. It was the fanciest loft apartment she'd ever seen. It had a balcony and a gorgeous view.

"What's this?"

"Where you'll be staying at."

She turned around to face him from across the room.

"What? Tyler don't do this,"

"No ones using it. I bought it to turn it into a studio or something a year ago but I haven't touched it since. It's yours." Tyler placed the key on the kitchen counter.

"Aren't you mad at me?"

"I'm mad because you lied to me about the situation. You didn't let me help you sooner."

He shut the door behind them.

"Why'd you run away?" he leaned on the counter across from her.

Rose sighed.

She told him everything.

The strict christian parents, being given an ultimatum of school or church, and so on.

They talked for an hour and a half without realizing it.

"I would've done the same." Tyler spoke.

It was the most calm she'd ever seen him.

"You're good now though. It's only gonna get better."

Rose looked down at her hands.

"I hope so." She looked up at him. "I've never been this open with anyone...It's weird."

Tyler slightly smiled.

"You'll meet a lot of sick people here. Everyone for the most part is on the same path," he started to turn and head towards the door. "Get some sleep. I'll check in on you."

"Thank you, for everything."

"Don't be weird. It's not a big deal." he laughed, saying goodnight before heading out.

...

Rose woke up in her new bed. It felt so surreal; lately she's felt like she's been living in one of those vivid dreams she was used to having when she lived in Texas.

She looked over at the time, it was 8 am. Fuck, she'd forgotten about starting work at the sandwich shop.

Quickly, she made her way down the elevator to the car to grab the suitcase full of her clothes and a bunch of other stuff she had brought with her. She ran back up and jumped into the shower.

God, it felt so good to not feel rushed like she did at the gym.

Once out, Rose grabbed a shirt and some loose jeans.

...

"Hey, I almost didn't make it..." Rose walked into the shop. It was 8:57 am.

"I'm Rose, by the way."

"Shirley."

They shook hands.

"Come over, I'll show you how to work everything before we open at 9:30." The lady showed her how to work the register, and how to make the sandwiches that the little shop was so famous for. It was the easiest job she could've had.

"It gets tough around lunch time so be quicker than that," she told Rose, watching her struggle with slicing the bread.

"I'll get the hang of it."

"Okay, come to the back and I'll help you fill out some of the paperwork. You'll be working five days a week from 9-1.."

Rose walked to the back into a small little office and signed some forms.

"You're all set."

...

"I'll see you tomorrow!"

Rose smiled at her as she ate the sandwich she'd made for herself after work. The lunch rush was no joke. It was hectic.

She walked out, checking her phone for the first time in hours.

how you like the loft?
-Tyler, 11:55 am

Rose smiled.

it's amazing. the sunrise in the morning is gorgeous
-Me, 1:04 pm

that's exactly why i bought it in the first place. you get it
-Tyler, 1:06 pm