Chapter 38: The Truth of The Night

'Long time no see, Nii-san, Makoto. How's Otousan and Okaasan? Makoto ... you've really changed.'

I let go of the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

My fingers which were curled around his collar slowly loosened before they began trembling.

Nii-san dropped down on his knees beside me, his face turning deathly pale. His eyes slowly met the shinobi who was still on the ground. 'M-Masoto? Is it really you?'

He nodded, tears welling up in his eyes. 'Yeah, it's me, Nii-san.'

My fingers on his collar tightened again and I began shaking him vigorously. It didn't matter whether I looked like a maniac. I was filled up with rage, sadness, relief and happiness and I didn't know how I was suppose to showcase my feelings.

'You bastard!' I cried, still shaking him back and forth. 'I thought you died! All those years! We - we thought you were dead!'

My hands let go of his shirt before I lifted them up, causing Masoto to flinch as if he was expecting me to punch him.

I flung my arms around his neck. 'I thought you were gone! W - we thought we lost you! I - I - I didn't know what to do! Nii-san and I -' I choked, sobbing into his shoulders while I hugged him tightly. I was still afraid. I knew he was here with me right now but I was afraid. Afraid that if I were to let go of him, he'd disappear. He'd be gone like before. I couldn't lose him again.

I felt him tense for a moment and I thought he was going push me away. Instead, I felt a pair of arms wrap around me as well including a comforting hand in between my shoulder blades. Without looking, I knew the hand belonged to Nii-san.

'You troublesome kid,' I heard Nii-san say, his voice cracking in the last part. Masoto chuckled.

I slowly pulled away, wiping my tears and sniffing. My lips curved into a small smile seeing Nii-san's hand on Masoto's head, pushing his hair out of his face. Both boys smiling but with tears continuously falling from their eyes. More of Nii-san than Masoto.

'I guess I owe you guys an apology, huh?' Masoto said, rubbing the back of his neck in a sheepish manner.

Nii-san flicked Masoto's forehead.

'Ow!'

'You owe us an explanation first, wise kid.' Nii-san said, a small smirk playing on his lips.

'Right,' he nodded, rubbing his forehead before turning to me curiously. 'That reminds me - Makoto? How did you know it was me?'

I smiled at him. 'I didn't until Nii-san came. I saw you looking as pale as Nii-san when the two of you first saw each other and so I thought you had to have met Nii-san before. And then, when I asked for your name, you said ''Hiroki''. Hiroki's the name of the kid we used to play with when we were young -'

'You remember Hiroki?' Masoto interrupted, smiling sadly.

I blinked. 'Well, yeah. I mean, how could I forget him? He was my friend too, y'know? Although, it's been so long since I've last seen him ...'

Hiroki was the orphan who lived a couple of blocks away from the Tsukino compound. Masoto was the one who introduced me to him and the three of us used to play together whenever we could.

'That's good that you remember him.' Masoto said, sighing softly. He looked up at the sky which was slowly getting dark and a single drop of tear escaped his eyes. 'That's just what he wanted ...'

Nii-san and I exchanged confused looks.

'What are talking about, Masoto?' Nii-san asked. 'Did you meet him again?'