Chapter 46: Too many bad things , not enough time

My throat felt swollen. The walls of the tent began caving in on me. I wanted to move. I wanted to ask Masoto and Okaasan to help him onto the bed. I wanted to call for Fuukari. To ask her for help. Instead, in a croaky voice, I said, 'No ...'

'Makoto, please don't panic.' Masoto pleaded, his voice shaky, like he was about to cry.

If I didn't do anything anytime soon except for just standing here with my mouth open, Nii-san was going to die.

'Put him on the bed.' I told them, grabbing a pair of dispensary gloves and putting them on. I wasted no time watching Masoto and Okaasan do so. I walked out of the tent, about to rush over to where Fuukari was resting but instead, I nearly collided into Sakura.

'Makoto!' she gasped before looking at me worriedly. 'Is everything okay? You've gone pale?'

'Nii-san's life is in danger. I need to wake up Fuukari -'

'I can help.' she cut me off, walking towards my tent - tent 3.

I blinked before spinning around and catching up with her.

'But what if someone else is injured and needs medical attention from you?'

'There are other medical nins.' she answered. 'And less people are coming now that it's so late. The others can handle it.'

The two of us entered the tent.

Sakura gasped as soon as she saw my bloodied brother on the bed.

'What happened?' she asked as she and I stood on either side of him.

'Ex ... Explosive ... Tags ... On ... Me. Didn't ... Realise ...'

My eyes nearly bulged out of my head, hearing Nii-san's voice. I could tell he was in so much pain.

'Don't talk.' I said, my eyes tearing up. I put on a mask just as Sakura did before I turned to Masoto.

'I think it's best if you two wait outside.' I said, my eyes flickered over to Okaasan before going back to Masoto.

'All right.' my twin sighed.

And with that, the two of them left.

Sakura and I began working on Nii-san immediately.

***

After we were done with the entire process, I slumped onto the floor, pressing my forehead to my knees.

I felt Sakura's hand on my shoulder.

'It's fine now, Makoto.' she reassured. 'He's going live.'

I looked down sadly. 'But he's partially deaf now. His right ear is completely gone.'

'There's nothing we can do about it.' she said, squeezing my shoulder.

'Thanks, Sakura.' I said, giving her a small smile. 'Thank you so much for helping him.'

'It's fine, Makoto.' she smiled. 'You should be getting some rest. You look tired. Have you slept at all?'

The corners of my lips twitched. 'I've been ... Busy. Have you slept?'

'I was asleep just now when I heard footsteps near your tent.' she answered. 'So I thought I'd check it out. In the end, you nearly bumped into me.'

'Footsteps?' I said, raising an eyebrow. 'Oh, you mean my brothers and ... '

'How are things between you and your mother?' she asked cautiously.

I shrugged. 'I guess still the same. I haven't talked to her or Otousan since I saw them when I was with Kiba.'