Chapter 15: Chuunin Exams?

Once again, Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura and I were waiting for Kakashi sensei to appear for what seemed like ages. I sighed and jumped up slightly to sit on the railing of the bridge where we were suppose to meet Kakashi sensei. I swung my legs back and forth, staring down at them and just when I was beginning to forget the world, Sakura yelled.

My eyes widened as my arms flailed about madly - but, I managed to grab onto the railings tightly. Panting with cold sweat running down my face, I jumped off the railings, a hand on my chest. I nearly died - no joke.

'Why does the person that always wait when he's the one who called us up?' Sakura said angrily, to no one in particular.

'Yeah!' Naruto agreed.

'How is he going to compensate a girl who woke up late and had to give up blow drying her hair?' she complained.

'How about you wash your hair at night instead.' I thought, rolling my eyes. Of course I would never say it out loud - and not because I'm scared of Sakura or anything like that. I just didn't want to get into a fight with anyone early in the morning.

'Yeah!' Naruto agreed, appearing to be happy because Sakura wasn't being mean to him.  'I woke up late, so I couldn't wash my face or brush my teeth!'

Sakura and I grimaced.

'How dirty ...' she muttered.

'Hello, gentlemen.' Kakashi sensei greeted, when he arrived.

I raised my eyebrows. 'Gentlemen. Does it seem like I have a -'

'And girls.' He interrupted, looking slightly awkward before coming up with another lame excuse. 'I got lost lost in the path know as life today ...'

'A LIE!'

'I'll get to the point,' he said. 'I recommended all of you to the Chuunin selection exams, so -'

He handed us each a slip of parchment paper? Which looked like forms of some sort.

'-here, take this applications.' He said. 'However, the recommendations do not force you to take it. You can decide if you want to take it or not.'

'Yes! I love you Kakashi sensei!' Naruto said happily, throwing his arms around Kakashi sensei's neck.

'Cut it out! Let go of me!' Sensei said, pushing him off. 'Only those who wish to take it are to sign the application, and five days after that, get to school by 3 pm and go to room 301. That is all.'

'Hehe ... Chuunin exams, Chuunin exam,' Naruto sang happily.

When Kakashi sensei left, the four of us walked back home together.

Sasuke and Naruto were clearly pumped for the exams. As for me, I wasn't so sure yet. I don't know whether I'm ready - I'll have to ask Nii-san about this. Sakura lagged behind.

I stopped and turned to her, an eyebrow raised. 'You alright?'

She looked slightly taken aback. 'Oh, mmm ... Makoto?'

'Yeah?'

'Are you ...?'

I shrugged. 'I'm not sure yet. I'm gonna ask my Nii-san whether I should or not. Are you?'

'I don't ... Want to.' She said quietly. 'I feel like I'm far behind from all of you.'

'Oh ...' I said stupidly. What was I suppose to say? Tell her that there's always next year or tell her to just suck it up and join? Instead, I said, 'think it through, maybe.'

And with that, I followed behind Naruto and Sasuke. Don't blame me. She and I never really got along anyways. It would be bizarre if someone were to see us being all friendly and caring towards each other.