Chapter 35: I'm Going On A Mission

'You're late!' Tsunade scolded, making me and Sakura flinch as we avoided her angry gaze. 'What's with this sudden sluggish behavior? Geez!'

'S - sorry!' I said, bowing slightly at the Hokage, who had her arms folded with a displeased look on her face.

Sakura bowed as well. 'That stupid Naruto was eating his breakfast at quite the odd hour -'

'Relax, Tsunade.' Jiraiya said, a small smile on his face. I heard the door behind us open and turned my head to see Naruto, who then walked up next to Sakura, looking surprised.

'Huh?' he said, staring at Jiraiya. 'Ero-sennin, you're already back?'

'Long time no see, Naruto.' Jiraiya greeted.

'What's with this?' Naruto said, happily. 'You should've told me you were back! We had some problems while you were gone.'

'It seems so,' Jiraiya said smugly.

The two males carried on with their conversation, either not realizing or not caring about how pissed Tsunade was looking. Sakura's worried look morphed into a glare, directed at Naruto. I gulped, taking a step back, nervously. This room held two of the biggest hot headed, violent people in Konoha and to top it off, they had super-strength and I was not looking forward to seeing their wrath at the same time.

And if I thought things couldn't get any worse, the two males forgot about everything else and decided on going to Ichiraku's and were now headed towards the door, laughing obliviously.

'HEY!' Sakura and Tsunade growled, finally bringing the males back to earth and making me sigh, exchanging exasperated looks with Shizune.  Tsunade and Sakura stomped over to Jiraiya and Naruto before landing a hard punch on their heads, respectively.

'My apologies! Naruto is causing trouble time and time again.' Sakura said, bowing before grabbing Naruto by the neck and pushing him downwards, forcing him into a bow. 'Hey, Naruto, you idiot!'

'S-Sakura-chan,' Naruto whined, struggling. 'You're hurting me ...'

I raised an eyebrow at my teammates. Sai, I hope you're getting used to this weird team, I thought, suddenly feeling strange at his absence. I turned to Tsunade, standing up straight. 'So, what is it you wanted to talk to us about?'

Tsunade sighed, her eyebrows knitted together. 'The truth is, there's some information that's been going around.'

'Information?' said Sakura, her hand no longer on Naruto's neck.

'What?' said Naruto. 'What is it?'

The two sages had equally serious looks on their faces. Tsunade finally spoke, 'Orochimaru has died.'

Naruto, Sakura and I gasped and if we thought that was surprising enough, we were nowhere near ready for the next piece of information that we were about to hear.

Tsunade continued, 'And it would seem that Uchiha Sasuke had killed him.'

Silence fell upon the room. My eyes widened and I felt a sudden chill run down my spine. My lip quivered. 'Is - is that ... really ... true?'

'There's no doubt about it,' said Jiraiya, his face grim. 'I heard it from a reliable source of information.'

'So ... then ...' Sakura said, tears forming in her eyes.

Naruto let out a carefree laugh, putting his hands behind his head. 'I knew there was no way he'd ever get himself killed by Orochimaru! So that means Sasuke's coming back to Konoha, right?'

The expressions that casted on the Sages' faces told us otherwise. My heart sank.

'It doesn't look like that's the case.' said Jiraiya. 'Sasuke's been obsessed with revenge. In order to kill Itachi, he must get closer to the Akatsuki.'