Chapter 22: Realization

'Put in more strength!' Nii-san said sternly, blocking my kick with just his wrist. 'Don't let your guard down!'

I aimed a punch at his jaw whilst trying to listen to his words. He jumped back, taking out a kunai.

'Ready? Here I come!' he charged towards me and my eyes widened. Taking out my own kunai, I blocked his kunai. Putting in all my strength into my two hands which were grasped firmly onto the kunai, I tried pushing him back. Forgetting about everything else except pushing him back, he ducked and swung his leg across the back of my knees, causing me to fall backwards.

'Don't get distracted! That's exactly what the enemy will want!'

I rolled out of the way just in time as his fist came into contact with the ground, barely missing my face. I pushed myself up, panting. Grabbing five shurikens from my weapon pouch, I threw it at him. It was completely useless. He dodged it with ease, jumping up and disappearing completely from my eyes.

I looked around frantically, hoping to at least catch a glimpse of him before he attacked. I didn't.

I felt someone grab me from behind, pointing a kunai at neck. 'I win.'

'Damn it.' I cursed as Nii-san let me go.

Nii-san smiled. 'Well done, Makoto. I'm impressed -' I grinned, did I improve?' -you managed not swear out loud this time.'

I sulked. 'I thought I improved ...'

He laughed, resting a hand on my head. 'You did improve, don't worry. You lasted longer fighting me than the last few times.'

I smiled. 'Teach me a jutsu -'

'Mamoru-san.'

Our heads turned to face an ANBU, wearing a mask of a bird's face.

'NO!' I yelled in protest. 'No more bloody ANBU!'

'Makoto ...' Nii-san's voice faltered, a small smile on his lips.

I stomped over to the ANBU and put both my hands on his stomach, trying to push him away but failing dearly.

'I - have - enough - of - you - ANBUs - disrupting - my - training - with - Nii-san! Don't steal my brother away from me!'

The ANBU tilted his head down and I assumed he was looking down at me.

'The Hokage has called upon all the ANBUs. Stop being immature.' The ANBU said harshly.

I narrowed my eyes at him. 'I'll break your beak.'

He bent down to my level. 'Is that a threat?'

I knew he was trying to intimidate me and I knew I should be feeling intimidated but I wasn't. I was too annoyed with the fact that I could never train properly with Nii-san.

I stuck out my tongue at the ANBU.

'You -' he began but Nii-san interrupted.

'Now, now,' he said, smiling awkwardly. 'Makoto, you know we have to obey the Hokage's orders. I'll train you when we get back, alright?'

'No, it's alright.' I told him, avoiding his eyes. 'You can go rest. I'll think I'd like to train alone for the rest of the day. It's still early anyways.'

'Are you sure?'

'Yeah ...'

Nii-san smiled at me sadly, ruffling my hair before he left with the ANBU.

I sighed at his retreating figure. The next match would be in a week and there hasn't been a single time when my training hasn't been disrupted. I should just get used to it.