Chapter 29: Sasuke's Gone

Someone was repeatedly knocking on my bedroom door. 'Makoto.'

I ignored Nii-san, sinking my face deeper into my pillow, mumbling incoherent words.

'Makoto, get up.' he said, his knocks getting louder. 'There are people here to see you.'

I groaned, pulling my sheets over my head. 'Tell them to go away. God, it's in the middle of the night!'

There was a pause.

'It's not the middle of the night, Makoto.' Nii-san sighed. 'It's nearly seven -

'Tell Otousan and Okaasan to tend to them.' I muttered, closing my eyes tight.

'They're your friends.' Nii-san said, and I heard the door knob turn.

I curled into a fetus position refusing to get up when I heard people enter my room.

'Oi, Makoto, wake up!'

My eyes snapped opened as soon as I heard Naruto's voice. Someone ripped my blanket away from me and I sat upright, seeing Naruto, Shikamaru and Nii-san looking at me exasperatedly. My eyes narrowed to the blanket in Shikamaru's hand.

'You didn't have to pull off my blanket, you know.' I said, running a hand through my hair which now fell past my shoulders. 'What if I wasn't wearing anything?'

'That doesn't matter now!' Naruto said, looking serious. 'Sasuke left the village!'

My heart stopped. 'I'm sorry - what?' I said, believing I heard wrong.

'You heard him.' Shikamaru said, tossing my blanket on my bed. 'Sasuke left last night. Sakura said she saw him last night and he knocked her out.'

I stared at Naruto and Shikamaru, waiting for them to burst out laughing saying it was a joke. But they remained serious. I noticed Nii-san looking at me with sad eyes. If finally dawned onto me that they were being serious.

'No ...' I said, my voice barely coming out as a whisper. 'He can't ... I just saw him ... We ... No ...'

My eyes widened when I remembered something.

'Thank you ... and -' Sasuke's smile disappeared, replaced by a somewhat sad and regretful look. '-I'm sorry.'

'I said it - it's f-fine -' I stuttered, my voice coming out more like a squeak.

He waved a hand. 'I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about ... Never mind.'

I clenched my fists. Trying hard not to show the boys that I wanted to start crying, I looked at Shikamaru straight in the eyes and said, 'So, what're we going to do?'

Shikamaru smirked. 'I've been given given a mission by the Hokage to bring back Sasuke with a group of Genin. Naruto and I thought if would be a good idea if you came.'

I blinked and shook my head. 'No ... There's bound to be enemies along the way and I'm not that good in fighting. Who else have you got in mind?'

Shikamaru raised an eyebrow. 'Choji, and Kiba as well as Naruto.'

I frowned. 'Replace me with Neji-san.'

Shikamaru and Naruto exchanged glances.

'Go on,' I said. 'Collect the other guys. I'll catch up with you guys later.'

They left and nodded and I noticed Naruto glance back at me worriedly.

I sighed and put my head in my hands. I felt the bed sink next to me and someone put their arm around my shoulders consolingly. Without looking, I already knew it was Nii-san.