Chapter 57: The Twins And Friends Trailing Adventures

'Nii-san?' I knocked on his door. 'It's me.'

'Makoto?' I heard him say from the other side of the door. 'The door's open. What is it?'

I opened the door slowly, revealing Nii-san seated on his bed, smiling tiredly at me.

I stood at this door timidly, all the courage and confidence I had a minute ago were gone.

'Well, you see - uh ...' I scratched the back of my head sheepishly.

He smiled and patted the place next to him.

I walked over and stood in front of him, forcing myself stare right into his eyes. He looked at me blankly. Finally realising how much of an idiot I probably looked like, I hurriedly sat down beside him.

'Have you two finished your breakfast?' he asked, putting a hand on my head.

'Eh - no. Masoto's currently eating and I left halfway to talk to you -'

'Why?' worry etched across his face. 'Do you have no appetite? Are you unwell? Something bothering you -?'

'Nii-san.' I said, cutting across him. 'That's exactly what's bothering me.'

He blinked. 'What?'

I put my legs up and hugged my knees, resting my chin on them. 'You're always putting me and Masoto first. Why can't you for once think about yourself before us?'

'Makoto ...' he looked taken aback, his hand slid off my head.

'I move out and this happens.' I continue. 'You're not even eating well! Why do you always have to care for us so much, Nii-san? It's unfair on you ...'

He remained speechless for a minute, staring at me in astonishment before sighing. He looked older than he really was.

'As soon as Okaasan had you two, I made a promise to myself that I'd take care of you.' he said. 'That I would make sure the two of you would grow up well. You worry me more than Masoto, since your a girl.'

'Eh?'

He chuckled and ruffled my hair. 'I don't mean to be sexist. It's just that our clan doesn't exactly like girls. I didn't want you to grow up in an environment where you felt like an outcast.' He looked down sadly. 'But it appears I failed ...'

'Oh, come ooonnnn!' I whined, grabbing his arm and shaking it like I was five again. 'You're doing it again. You don't always have to worry about us.'

I leaned against his arm. 'You, constantly worrying about us, makes us worry about you.'

He chuckled.

'It's not funny,' I mumbled. 'Masoto told me that ever since I moved out, you haven't been taking care of yourself properly. I've moved out before. Why are you getting so worked up now?'

'Because this time, you moved out because you said you needed some time alone.' he said. 'I couldn't come check on you often or you'd be annoyed.'

'Why would I get annoyed over something like that?' I grumbled guiltily. 'You don't have to worry about that anymore though. I'm moving back in.'

'Really?!'

I jumped, grabbing Nii-san's arm when the bedroom door slammed open to reveal a grinning Masoto.

'Are you really moving back?' He exclaimed, bouncing on the heels of his feet at the door. 'For real?'

I nodded, laughing at his reaction. 'I want to live with you guys. As family.'