Chapter 51: The Ribbon

It was about three in the afternoon when I arrived at the training ground that team 7 had planned to meet at this timing.

As usual, I was the first to arrive. I sighed. No point training now, I thought. I had to save my energy until the rest show up. We hadn't really discussed how we were going to train but we'd probably be sparring against each other.

I looked around the forest before choosing a not so tall tree that looked sturdy enough to carry my weight. I climbed to the top and sat down on one of the branches, resting my back against the trunk.

With one leg dangling in midair midair while the other leg propped up for my elbow to rest on, I began spinning a kunai around my index finger. I closed my eyes, listening to the sound of rustling leaves and the birds chirp.

'I'll see you later, Hinata!'

My eyes snapped open. I leaned over the tree branch slightly to see Naruto running towards the training grounds, waving at Hinata.

He entered the training ground, scratching the back of his head. I noticed his cheeks were brushed with pink.

I smirked when he coincidentally stood beside the tree I was resting on. I jumped off and landed right beside him.

'Hey,'

'AHHHHHHHH!!!!' he jumped about a metre away from me and crouched down, wrapping his arms around his head.

He looked up at me, eyes the size of plates.

He sighed before getting up.

'Really, Makoto.' he said, pouting at me. 'You nearly gave me a heart attack.'

I cocked an eyebrow at him and nudged his side. 'So, when are you gonna ask her out?'

'W - what are y-you t-talking about?' He stuttered, his lip quivering. 'I - I d-don't l-l-like her th-that way!'

'You're stuttering says differently, Naruto.' I teased, folding my arms.

His entire face flushed red. 'But I'm just scared she doesn't like me that way -'

I grabbed him by the ear and pulled. 'Naruto, you idiot. If I ever had feelings for you, I'd probably hate you at the same time.'

'Ow, Ow, Ow, Makoto! It hurts!' he whined, trying to escape my grasp.

'Serves you right.' I muttered under my breath.

'What are you two doing?'

Both of us straightened up to see Sasuke looking at us strangely with Sakura beside him, looking amused.

My stomach lurch with jealousy. Why was she standing next to him? Why were they so standing so close to each other? Why did they appear at the same time?

Why are you bothered by all this if you're not planning on forgiving him?

I clicked my tongue in annoyance for being bothered by something so small.

I looked away from them and said, 'Where's Sai?'

'Here.'

'Mother of -!!!!!!!' I yelled from shock, seeing the pale boy appear beside me, smiling. I jumped backwards and hit the back of my head with a tree.

Naruto burst out laughing. 'Haha! That's karma, Makoto! That's for scaring me earlier on and pulling my ear -'

I pulled his cheek. 'Don't sass me, Naruto.'

**********

'Man, I'm beat.' I panted, laying on the grass with a kunai in my hand as I started at the black sky. Time flew past quick.