32

So, the three of them went through uni. The stresses, the laughter, the crying and the smiling.

They overworked, over-relaxed, but it was so imperfectly perfect.

As everything in their lives were.

Luke and Freya lived in the hospital accommodation for a year, but then Freya's dad sent her one last load of money to end their contact, and they moved out. They'd also both picked up a job, so renting a little flat closer to uni was achievable.

Calum and Mali still lived together, but Calum and Avery had formed a relationship together, and were saving for their own flat out of town.

He wanted to leave this place behind, but it wouldn't be for a while.

Though the biggest change of all was that they'd stopped therapy.

With tough timetables and work shifts, they didn't see their therapists much anymore, but they always insisted they come round for a coffee. The four never went too long without seeing each other, Cal and Naomi too.

Besides, after a treacherous four years, Freya was now their work colleague. Specifically, Ashton's shadow as she took a training month.

He was definitely nicer to everyone else, she thought, but it began to make sense once she knew he'd been in her place. It must hurt to see someone hurt themselves like that knowing it bloody sucked.

As they sat eating lunch together, he got a call, his face dropping in seconds.

"We've got a new patient,"

"Like, a proper long term one?"

"Yeah. Want to help me?"

"Sure,"

"You acting chill?" he teased her; she was always so excited to get her teeth into something. It turned out this was the perfect job for her.

They packed up lunch and headed through the hospital. She tended to walk behind him, just to let everyone know he was boss.

And as they walked into the room, a stench almost knocked her out like nothing in the world.

There was a teenage boy in the bed, covered in sick, who flipped us both off as they walked in. Ashton simply chuckled and called for a nurse turning on the air con.

"Nice to meet you too buddy,"

"I feel like shit,"

"It won't last too long,"

"Give me more,"

"Nuh-uh, we are weaning you off it I'm afraid,"

"Dicks,"

"Please don't disrespect me and my colleague like that," he said sternly, "Would you like some help showering?"

"Not from you,"

"No, a nurse,"

And despite appearing hard, the boy nodded, and wiped his eyes.

A couple of people arrived and stripped the bed, while he showered. Ashton and Freya took a step outside, both of them feeling an all too familiar feeling.

"I just want to let you know that if anything becomes too hard, that's okay. You are not any less of a valuable team member if you need to step out of a conversation, because it can bring back memories,"

"Leave me alone, dickhead," the girl mocked, "I'm fine, I've got you working with me,"

"I'm just making sure. And I promise you can still speak to me, even if I'm not your therapist. I'm your friend,"

"We literally met almost five years ago. I have a lot to owe you,"

"I think helping me with this case settles that,"

"Wow, I feel like I am back where it all started,"

"It's been a long journey," he nodded, watching as the girl fiddled with her coat button. Then, she recomposed herself; she loved this job. Plus, she was the boss, so she needn't be so nervous.

"I bloody long journey indeed,"

———
the end

thankyou so much for reading rush and conquer!!! it's been so fun to write them and i hope you enjoyed them too :)