1

*possible tw throughout book*

When Calum thought about the outside world, he thought about the nature. He thought about the flowers dancing, the birds singing, and the trees swaying with the wind.

He thought about his sister Mali, and about watching movies together on the sofa while eating snacks. It was a chance to share positivity, perhaps even get a job at the local coffee shop and tell everyone to have a nice day.

It was a chance to re invent himself.

When Luke thought about the outside world, he thought about home. He thought about baking cakes, long car rides, playing board games.

He thought about growing as a person, and how he could spend more time with Freya- who had no thoughts about the outside world, other than feeling like an imposter in the Hemmings' household.

In terms of moving in, Liz hadn't made a great impression on Freya or her son.

It was Freya's first night out of the hospital, and she lied awake in Luke's bed, his soft snores the only thing keeping her sane.

Liz hadn't spoken a word to her.

She wondered if she was doing something wrong, because adjusting was harder than she thought.

First of all, her meals weren't as big as in the hospital. Politely, she'd asked for more, but Liz had just continued to pile Luke's plate with more food than he could imagine.

Second of all, she missed Ashton and his sternness, because now she didn't know what to do with herself. She'd never had this much time and freedom while doing nothing.

Third of all, it didn't feel like hospital or home. The bedding was different, the smell was different, the food and the showers were different. Everything was so different.

For Luke, the two days at home without Freya had been torture. It seemed his mum has little care about how he felt, and was convinced he was better. She kept telling him how much money the treatment cost, and how it would be a shame for it to not have worked.

And it confused him a little, because Michael had told him recovery happened in your own time.

As instructed, he took three pills in the morning, spent some time outside and watched a movie or read; Michael had said there would be a pill at night, but his mum had said it was changed.

He had managed to sleep a little anyway, and push his doubts about the house to the back of his head.

Because mums knew best, right?