15

Michael was hoping to go down to Liz's house in the morning, but he got held up with work. There were staff meetings and alarms going off, all over running, but he finally got out in the evening.

That didn't stop him though.

What he wanted to see what the three of them watching tv, or playing a board game, or perhaps Luke and his mum bonding while Freya read.

What he would actually see was a pale, nauseous boy looking after an exhausted, upset girl, because Liz had drunk alcohol. It had made her head spiral, her senses awaken, and a small craving appear.

Of course, the girl knew the downside to it all, but having it so close was so tempting.

Michael knocked on the door, and it opened to reveal Liz. She gave him a warm smile, and directed them upstairs.

As he entered Luke's room, the boy wanted to cry.

"Michael," he whimpered, "Michael,"

"Hey, hey, what's going on?"

Luke launched himself towards the man, tightly hugging him. Freya was the only person who'd hugged him besides the few hours on his therapy day. To have Michael back was a relief.

"Please, Michael. She changed our medication and our food, and she drunk alcohol and now Freya is really upset. She isn't looking after us please Michael, please," he begged.

"We will get you out," he whispered, "we've got to build a small case. Ash will come tomorrow morning, around 7am like Freya said. He's gonna check your medicine because if I go now, she might've changed it all,"

"Take us now," he begged, "I feel crazy,"

"Your not crazy, you have never been crazy Luke. Tomorrow, Ashton will mostly likely take you back to the hospital to arrange some temporary living,"

"She's too smart," Freya croaked, "why can't you change it now?"

"Because legally she is classed as your guardian, and Naomi's boss needs evidence. I promise we will have it all,"

"But we are now 18,"

"It's a bit different when you first leave the hospital, okay? It's how we work,"

He crouched next to Freya, gently feeling her head which was burning hot.

"You can beat that feeling,"

"I know,"

"Be strong for one last morning. What did you eat today?"

"Pasta,"

"Any fruit or veg?"

"No,"

"Alright, that's not too good, is it?"

Freya reached out and held his hand, quietly starting to cry. She hadn't cried for a while, and didn't want to, but she'd given up.

Michael felt helpless. He needed a good reason to get them out, and he knew they should've been out days ago, but he'd continuously raised the red flag and been shut down.

"Luke, can you go downstairs and see if you have the same medication as this morning, or if she's changed it. Pretend to get a snack, bring the pills up,"

"Michael, I can't,"

"You can, it's really important okay?"

As Luke went downstairs, Michael wiped Freya's tears, helping her sit up. He pulled out his phone and texted Ashton to come over, before passing Freya her water bottle.

"Are you feeling dizzy, and like you have a cold?"

"Yeah, and I don't know why I'm crying,"

"You're allowed to cry," he said softly, Luke walking back in. He shut the door, thankful the tv has been too loud for his mum to hear.

Setting down his two, and Freya's three, Michael took a photo.

"Where are your other two Luke?"

"They ran out,"

"How could they run out? These pills were from your last week, and last until next week,"

"M-mum said,"

"Okay... sit down,"

They all heard another knock on the door, Liz welcoming Ashton too. He made small talk with her, apologising for being late. It worried him that she wasn't bothered by it being a surprise visit, and led him to believe she didn't know the visit days at all.

He went upstairs, finding Luke's room and the three of them inside.

"What's going on?"

"Ash, can we speak outside,"

"Have I done the wrong thing?" Luke worried, "Have I caused trouble?"

"No," Freya sniffed, "I think we're okay,"

Michael stepped outside the room and closed the door, Ashton leaning on the door.

"Luke was literally begging to leave," he whispered, "and Freya is crying, and there's not even all their medication,"

"What do we do? Nobody's fucking listening to us,"

"Get them out anyway. There's no other choice,"