16

Ashton entered the bedroom again, picking up the pills and putting them in his bag. Michael called Naomi, who directed him to her boss.

"Will you be in trouble?" Luke asked.

"No. Michael and I might have to go to a small court date just to change where you live,"

"I'm scared,"

"I know, but it's okay. You weren't being treated as you should be, and that is unsafe. You're gonna come to the hospital because there will need to be a meeting, but you two can stay in a a room together,"

"What will happen tomorrow?" Freya mumbled.

"We're gonna have to give you a checkup, okay? And we will all talk, and support you,"

"What will my mum say?" Luke asked, clasping Michael's arm.

"Michael is going to talk to her. We need you two to pack some clothes,"

Freya was struggling to hold it together, the amount of change being a lot to handle.

"Liz was drinking alcohol,"

"You're doing so well, I'll help you pack," Ashton said, Luke passing over a bag. The three of them folded up clothes and put them away, Liz appearing at the doorway.

Freya gulped, hitting her head on Ashton's shoulder. She was so exhausted of the woman.

"I'm so sorry, Luke, I just don't have the right knowledge to look after you,"

"It's okay," he mumbled.

"One day, we might be able to re connect,"

"Yeah, maybe,"

He kept his eye contact down and packed up his clothes, all the clothes that fit him going in the backpack. Freya didn't have many clothes that fit her anymore, so her bag was almost empty.

"Are we keeping everyone up?"

"It's only the evening, most people are still at work," Ashton reassured, letting Luke hug him.

"I'm sorry,"

"You need to stop apologising Luke, and realise that you still need a little looking after,"

Michael took Luke's bag, and Ashton went to take Freya's, but she pulled it back. Just because she wasn't feeling good, it didn't mean she wanted to be dependent on him. Once in the car, Luke going with Michael, he pulled out the medication.

Correct.

Correct.

Painkillers?

"Freya, how long have you been taking white pills?"

"Mine are pale blue,"

"They're supposed to be, I know, but that's not what these are. These are most likely painkillers sweetheart,"

"What?"

"We will send it to get tested, okay? But this is probably why you and Luke feel so sick. You are going through a withdrawal again,"

"Not again," she said, starting to cry again, "what will we do?"

"It'll be hard, but we have to get you off it then put you back on it. Luke will go through it too, and it's something you won't be alone though anymore,"

"I don't know how long I've had them,"

"It's okay, we will figure it out. We may need to take some blood to test. Put your seatbelt on,"

Freya leant against the car door and closed her eyes, wiping the few tears that fell.

"It's confusing,"

"What confusing you?"

"Why she refused to acknowledge my existence most of the time,"

"I can't give you a straight answer, but she didn't seem to see a problem,"

"Luke might know about my pills,"

"Okay, we will ask him then,"

"Can't I live with you?"

Ashton wished she could, but as of now, she was a patient and that shouldn't happen. However, he did believe she could possibly live with Michael or Naomi, or even one of their family members.

As the got to the hospital, the four of them walked inside, heading to a large meeting room. Since Michael has called ahead, people were ready, Naomi taking charge.

Freya and Luke got to sit together, and everyone sympathised the two, because they needed a break.

Ashton explained again what they'd found, and they sent the unknown pills off to testing. Luke did reveal the empty packet of painkillers he'd found, and the two of them filled in the story.

People weren't happy.

Afterwards, Naomi pulled the two to the side, looking at both of them. She felt so guilty and hated how they felt the need to cower into each other.

They were spitting images of the past.

"You two are going to stay here tonight, and we are going to lock the room so that no one but us can get in. It's only for the night, before we go into this more tomorrow, because we already have ideas of where you could stay,"

"My head hurts," Luke whimpered, "and I don't feel good,"

"I know, it's because you're going through a withdrawal. We are going to help make it easier for you,"

"I'm hungry, and tired, and might throw up," Freya groaned, standing up to go to Ashton. In her dizzy state, she tripped, hitting her head on the floor.

"Ow,"

"You need to stay sitting Freya," Ashton said, helping the girl up. He gently checked her head and helped her up, keeping her body steady. Freya enjoyed the warmth and safety she felt with the man, and began to cry because she'd really missed it here.

"Please can we leave this room?"

"Come on, let's get you settled,"