Chapter 52

Gabriel

  I observed the little figure standing at the door for another few seconds. The boy we had taken under our protection with a hair a dark, cold brown, ruffled in curls over his forehead, now seemed tiny compared to his surroundings. The brown, loosely sewn teddy bear he held underneath his elbow hung nearly to the floor.

  Near the large door of the dining room, the kid looked vulnerable in his smallness. Perhaps he even seemed younger than the tender age of six. His t-shirt, that definitely wasn't appropriate for the upcoming weather this winter, hung to his knees. And I noticed he still wore the pants from earlier, despite having obviously spent the day sleeping.

  Right. If the kid was to stay under our protection, he needed clothes. And a proper child's room.. With whatever a kid his age required. That old teddy bear certainly couldn't even pass for a proper toy.

  Denise appeared out of breath beside the kid, looking both frustrated with him and apologetic to us. "Mrs. Valentine, I apologize, but he was looking for you and I couldn't catch up to him and stop him from—"

  "That's quite alright." Leah interrupted with a tiny smile on her face that clutched something in my chest. "Come join us, Eddie." She pushed her chair back as if wanting to stand up, but thought better of it in that last second as Denise lead the kid on the chair across from her.

  To the left of me. I fought a grin back. A slight frown appeared between the boy's brows as he observed me with little to hide behind his overly big brown eyes compared to the rest of his face.

  Quite clearly, the kid had understood my connection with Leah. It was more than obvious he had grown accustomed to her no matter how little time they had spent together. Or merely felt safe near her. She did save him. I was perhaps the obstacle standing in the way of them having more quality time together in his eyes.

  Once the housekeeper left, Leah leaned closer to the table to ask him. "Eddie, you met Gabe, remember?" She looked at me with amused eyes as she gave us a proper introduction. "Gabe, this is Eddie."

  "Ah. So you're the mischievous little devil that I was told refused to eat." My remark was truthful enough. Victor had let me know that the kid didn't want any food before they took him to bed and quite certainly, refused it after he woke up as well.

  Now he frowned, looking at me with an attempt of some authority. "I wanted to see Lea first."

  For a child his age, his language appeared well polished.. The idea of honor, defending it especially, was obviously carved into the kid's mind.

  So despite the absence of his parents in his life, Julianna had made sure he was raised to be the only Balik heir. That would suit her, of course. Better her kid to be an heir, no matter how low the Balik empire had fallen, than some of her first husband's offspring he had left behind before dying.

  "Do you want to sit closer so I can help you out?" Leah's too-attentive tone took my attention and I realized a maid had walked into the room, bringing another plate of the main dish for Eddie as well.

  Leah appeared anxious. At the idea of Eddie holding a knife? I frowned slightly, not exactly sure when a child was meant to gather such experience with eating utensil. I mentally shook my head. It didn't matter. The kid hadn't even been with us for a full day and Leah was already spoiling him.

  I spoke before the boy could answer. "Surely not. Eddie is a big kid. He's six. Aren't you, Ed?" I saw the intelligence in this kid. Oh, he knew of pride well enough. Despite his little frown because I'd ruined his chance at getting spoiled by Leah, he nodded his head determinedly. "Ah, well then you don't need Leah treating you like a little baby, do you?"