Chapter 48

Gabriel

  My blood rushed through my ears. The loud, unsteady beat of my heart thumping, thumping, so damned harshly in my chest. Inhaling the scent of roses and honeysuckle my wife's hair seemed to always hold, sweet and comforting, my heart sped up even more.

  I realized I was holding on. Holding onto her, as if still somewhat refusing to be brought to my knees because of this woman. And failing. Failing so miserably hard.

  No, there was no denying the wobbliness of my limbs. The quiver in my fingers as I clutched at her hair, the other arm holding her tightly against myself. The tremble in my entire body at the awareness; the oh so keen awareness of her against me.

  It was somewhere between the sighs I felt left her and the throbbing sense inside my head that I came somewhat aware of our surroundings. Of the situation.

  As I raised my head from her shoulder and looked back in the redly lightened mirror, I saw my Leah staring back at me with those dark jades, wide and sparkling in the weird lights. Her hair ruffled from the previously neat bun; her little black dress very much ruined for good from my impatient tugs.

  And in that frenzy of sudden rushing thoughts, I noticed the glassiness in her eyes.. The sudden bowing of her head as her hair fell over her face.. The way her body slightly quivered in my arms. The sob-like sighs and the tear that escaped as she blinked and looked down.

  My heart stopped at that moment. "Leah?" Something in my gut clutched tight when she didn't answer, when a few more of those silent sobs left her.

  Running a hand over her hair, I somewhat stepped back a bit. "Leah. Hey," I managed to make her turn around to face me. But as she did, one hand went over her lips and she tried looking away. "My love, what is it?"

   I slipped a finger underneath her chin and tried having her look up. Hell, she couldn't even glance at me. "Leah, look at me. What's wrong?" More tears slipped down her face as she fluttered her lashes up at me, illuminated by little more than the red lights. "Why— what's happened?"

  She shook her head. "Oh, Gabe," It was that moment I realized she was holding on. Holding onto my shirt, tightly clutched between her fingers. "Take me home."

  I stepped back, gave her space, somewhat arranging myself, helping her look somewhat decent as well. Since the one strap of her dress was ripped, I pulled off my coat and draped it over her shoulders.

  And as she sniffed and tried to take a step closer, I noticed how damnably hard it was for her to keep herself up-straight on her feet. Her knees were barely holding her. Something in my chest convulsed with dull pain and I pulled her in my arms.

  With a mere lift underneath her legs; an arm around her waist and one beneath her knees, I carried her towards the door. "There's no need—" 

  "Hush,"

  Making my way through the crowd of the busy club, I caught a few interested gazes, caught a few of them murmuring to one another, but brushed it off my mind. It didn't matter who saw us or what they'd interpret of the situation. What mattered was to make it to the car. To make it home.

  I brushed my lips over her forehead. She snuggled closer. Hell, it couldn't be that she was angry. Because she was seeking closeness. Something else was wrong. Something else had dared those tears.

  I stepped into the chilly autumn air. "Just tell me," I motioned to our driver to pull up the car.. Glanced down at the woman in my arms, covered in my too-large coat around her. "Tell me what it is." Again, she merely shook her head.