Chapter 17

Gabriel

There was certain qualities that were necessary for a man in our world to possess.. Perhaps at times merely for survival.

The triangle was simple, really, built of discipline, composure.. And patience. Patience was a virtue that many lacked in, and unfortunately lost their lives because of it. But I liked to believe that I had managed to conquer all three.

During the past two weeks, I had relied mostly on patience.. A feeling that I had to hold onto when it came to Leah. Despite the fact that every atom of my being urged me to go to her and ask all the questions that pickled underneath my skin like thorns, that even made me fear I'd fail protecting her if I didn't find the answers soon.

But it was for the best. To find resistance and hold onto my patience. She needed time alone, to grieve or merely get used to her new life, and I had given her that. Which was one of the better choices I had made during the past few weeks. Distance was good for me as well. For a while at least..

Instead I had focused on the case.. Going through every detail and information we had on the car crash, the tape of the truck that caused it, and the attack at Leah's condo..

One of the few discussions I had with her was in fact connected with it, and she had mentioned several times that she wanted her people included in inspecting the case as well. So they were at my command.

Still, I held the main strings. And they had indeed kept me occupied, for a whole week straight, which mostly I had spent in my home office.. Pondering onto that main question. Whether there was a possibility that the crash and the attack were completely unconnected cases..

That night, Ethan visited, bringing his information on the attack, and after examining it for what felt like hours, we ended up in the drawing room, sipping cognac with the mere despair for some ease.

There was no moving from the main points of the case we had highlighted long ago, and the both of us still seemed stuck on them.. As a result of lack of focus, we both had struggled keeping up. A glass of whiskey was much needed.

After a few seconds, he changed the subject from the case. "There is something I believe you should have."

Inspecting the honey colored liquor in my glass for another few seconds, I glanced back towards Ethan, failing to process his words right away.

His focus remained on the darkness outside the window, before he downed his drink and leaving the glass on the nearest table, turned to me. He took out a single piece of paper from the inner pocket of his jacket.

"What is that?"

With the last sip of the burning liquor sliding down my throat, I immediately felt my stomach turn. Hell, the last time one of them had brought papers to me, I had discovered that the woman I had despaired for like the fool that I was, had a completely different identity. Humorous, really.

"A will. Testament." He waved with the now unfolded piece of paper. "Call it as you wish."

His answer was most welcome, mostly because it would spare us the trouble of looking for Leah's lawyer for the will. After all, it was expected. Very expected. She would eventually want what belonged to her, and that little document seemed to contain it all.

Taking a few steps towards me, he examined it. "Paul Rowe left it for his.. Niece." Of course. Paul had been a smart man. He had probably written it the second he took Leah under his guardianship. "In this world of ours, a man never knows when his death day would come." Ethan finished my thoughts, finally handing the paper over to me. "He left everything to Leah.. But with conditions."