Chapter 45

Leah

  Walking into the house after a long, tiring day of work was never exactly comforting. In fact, the largeness the space offered was rather chilling. Strange how the simple knowledge of Gabriel's presence behind me could soothe me. Even after almost two weeks of distance.

  The door of the drawing-room clicked closed. "Is there much left to be done?" His voice was a deep rumble.

  It had been so long since we were last alone in a room. It felt like months even though it'd barely been two weeks. It seemed his presence now lifted that anxiety off my chest, having me relax, exhale as I pulled off the thin autumn gloves I had on.

  "Not exactly, from what I gathered," I answered, aware of him moving around the room silently. He had a ferocious amount of energy, my Gabriel, and could rarely be held indoors, or he started to look tormented, like a caged tiger.

  I heard the crystal bottle click, followed by liquor being poured into a glass. "What you gathered? I thought you lead the organization for the gala." His tone was rather cold and I didn't like it.

  Somehow, we'd grown apart these two weeks trying to organize everything the right way, both of us on different sides of the city during the day, on different sides of the house during the night.

  "Oh, I do," Taking off my jacket, I carefully placed it on one of the armchairs before turning to face him. There he was, the famous Gabriel Valentine, as I was constantly reminded these days when I was introduced as his wife.

  His height and brawn seemed to make the room shrink away into a space much smaller, even as he casually leaned on the drinking cabinet, somewhat examining the amber liquor filling his glass he delicately held between his fingers.

  I cleared my throat silently. "The main things are well finished. But, my assistant Melissa is acquainted with the details, and she claims we'll be all settled in two-day notice."

  "Good." Dark emeralds met mine as he offered the second glass to me. I walked a few steps closer and took it.

  Dismissing the challenge behind his eyes, I took a sip from the gin as he explained. "Most of the guests from your guest list have confirmed their arrival. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see only six turned down the invitation, all backed up with fair reasons for refusal."

  "Which are?"

  Talking, he walked over to the armchair, sprawling down. "Either their absence from the States. A business matter—which is the case with the Gaumonds. A family incident with Mr. Bierman... And a few other similar cases, including Miss de Moray's decline."

  "Ah. That one was expected."

  "She's apparently not in the States either, leaving us all wondering why her brother has kept her location so secretive." He sipped and I watched with familiar interest, those little things he did.

  The way he sat, the way he held the glass. The way his hand lazily moved as he explained.. The way his eyes drooped as he realized my focus on him.. And the desire that flamed there.

  I took a sip from my own glass. Really, it was ridiculous that such tension still existed between us. We had seen each other naked in more ways than one. Done every little crudity, confessed every little indecency.

  With a slow inhale, I managed to sound nonchalant. "There's no wonder there. Marco is aware of his enemies which makes him all the more dangerous. He keeps his sister's location a secret from the world to keep her safe."

  As heavy footsteps approached, I remembered I had summoned Victor when we entered the house. "Ah, Victor, there you are." I walked over where he stood at the doorway. "Everything's ready for tomorrow's trip, right? Mrs. Angelle has been notified?"