Chapter 39

Gabriel

  It was madness what this woman did to me. And at that point, it released itself upon me. Left me moving with little sense, little conscience of what it could mean, this hunger I felt thriving inside me.

  Some perhaps called it want, but it was far more powerful, for I moved with need. With the kind of greed that left me blind and deaf to the world around. Only her. My Leah, in my arms, kissing me with the same hunger, whispering things to me that only I knew, only I heard.

  "Gabriel," My name on her lips in between those kisses.. Lord, it almost undid me. "You're distracting me."

  Even as we had reached the bed, her words dared me to place her on the dresser beside it. Distraction. The little vixen didn't know what a distraction was. Being trapped and ruled by such desire for her, lost and senseless for a taste, for a proof she was mine. That was the real distraction.

   Pulling her closer to myself, I placed wet kisses over her lips, her neck, as she brushed her fingers over my scalp and lit me on damned fire. What we shared in that moment was yearning, so great, it had me moving with crude, vital hunger.

  A mere pull and I had her sliding against the dresser, closer, legs on either side of my body, welcoming the kisses I left on her throat with an unwilling moan.

  Yet she held me close, she gasped my name so very silently, even as she said, "You're— I'm still very mad at you."

  "You're not." I whispered, nibbling at her ear and hearing that erotic sound leave her throat. Good God. She had me iron hard for her effortlessly. "Tell me.. Why did you agree to the game? You knew what I do." I roughly pulled her closer. "From the beginning, you knew what I am. Why?"

  Her gasp was warm against my neck. "Does it matter?"

  Sweet, foolish girl. Of course it mattered. Didn't she see? Didn't she see what I was willing to do for her? Didn't she see that I was despairing for her every moment of every damned day? Hell, I only needed to know she felt at least half that way for me.

  But before she could say anything else, anything like that fact that she might only feel lust and nothing as mighty as the emotions warring through me, I took that sweet mouth against my own and kissed her thoroughly.

  Soon, I had her wiggling and whimpering against me, pulling at my shirt and wrapping her legs tight around me. I had her restless, pulling at my hair, wanting more, needing more, and damn, I nearly lost all control right then.

  "It does. It matters." My words were mumbles down the delicate line of her throat, feeling how she shook her head even as she grew limp. "It does." I growled. "So tell me, why did you agree to play my game, Leah St. Clair.. When you knew it could never bring you the trust and love that you wanted?"

  As she set her hands on my chest, I felt a bit dizzied by her touch.. But I realized she stilled, felt the rigidness in her muscles at my words, at that mention of love and what it promised.

  It was burning into me, the thought of her love, daring a heavy groan to rise from my chest as I took in her scent; as I heard her exhale slowly, quaveringly against the side of my face.

  "You are the most stupid," As I bit down her shoulder, I felt her harsh whispers more than I heard them. "lack-witted man I have ever met."

  "No doubt." I left my trailing kisses lower and I grew more and more desperate for a taste of every inch of her. The feel of her around me. The sound of her ecstasy. "Tell me."

  The soft slopes of her lush breasts underneath that silken nightgown nearly dared me to rip the damned fabric and feel them in my hands, feel them against my lips. But, it wouldn't be enough. God, with Leah, it was never enough.