Chapter 40

Gabriel

  Leah loved me. She had worn me out, but in the end, I had heard what I wished to know. She loved me.

  I opened my eyes at the thought, head leaned back against the back of the armchair, and watched her sleep. Observed how she lay on our enormous bed, tangled in those silken sheets, all wild golden locks and creamy skin.

  One arm covered those lush breasts with the way she laid turned to my side, a round hip peeked even as she laid half wrapped in the cover. I took another sip of the burning liquor.

  Lord, she was magnificent. Those beautiful jades were now peacefully closed, but nothing in the world could erase the image of them staring up at mine, heavy-lidded and delirious as I made her mine. As she repeated my name and told me she loved me.

  My eyes closed at the recent memory. I didn't deserve her love. She was an intelligent, sensitive, beautiful woman, and I was a mere brute. One that had spilled blood to get where I was today, watched my own fight and burn, and still moved forward.

  The scars my soul bore were deeper than the scars of those that had perhaps been physically tortured. Sometimes they still bled and reminded me of the past, of how I had become what I was today. A cad that knew nothing of love. Never had felt it or known of it. Never was worth of it.

  What was worse, I had no intention on letting Leah go. I might not be worthy of her love, but I'd sworn that I would hold it close until the day I die. I couldn't let her change her mind. Her caring and affection was a healing balm upon my soul.. And the mere thought of losing her made me restless.

  I glanced back at her, downing what cognac was left and watching how she came awake. It seemed that it was the emptiness of the other side of the bed that had woken her, or rather my very absence, since those drowsy eyes searched the room lazily the second she noticed me gone.

  Something tightened in my chest when her gaze found mine. "Gabriel?" Her voice was raspy, deliciously sleepy in the silence as she turned on her back and observed me with a frown. "What are you doing?"

  "I can't sleep." I tried smiling at her but rather failed. I cleared my throat. "You go ahead. You've had a long night. I'll come back to bed in a bit."

  She frowned. "No." I watched how she ridiculously gathered the sheets around herself, as if I hadn't feasted on that body mere hours ago. She sat up. "No, something's wrong." Those eyes were intense on me. "What is it?"

  I stared at her unkempt hair, wavy and soft about her shoulders as she held the sheet at her chest.. Stared at her lush crimson lips, full and well devoured from my kisses. Eyes round and innocent and now wide awake. It was one of the most tempting sights I'd ever witnessed.

  It didn't matter however, because she needed to go back to sleep. She did have a long night. And I too would've been in a heavy slumber had Ethan not banged on the door until I was awake and stumbling to the door to make him stop before he woke Leah as well.

  He had been there for urgent matters, however. The information about The Cardinal that he gathered from Ninno had apparently been somewhat useful.. Still, not enough to keep the bastard alive much longer it seemed. Ninno was dead.

  And as for the bad news.. Two of our men were dead as well. I had been too bewitched with the thought of Leah, immediately rushing back to her to make sure she was alright, that I hadn't even asked for a report about our own. But now that Ethan came and told me..

  I poured myself some more cognac as I spoke. "We've lost two of our men tonight." Tapping the glass with my finger, I tried distracting myself. But my voice came out in growls anyway. "Good men. Loyal. With me since—"