Chapter 28

Gabriel

  Autumn was a starting surprisingly quickly, and to say the least, it was strangely pleasant. Outside, the sun seemed to had risen high in the sky, yet the few swipes of that breeze hinted the change of weather that was about to come.

  And it wasn't only the climate that was about to change. Certainly, there were many things that came with winter. Autumn was only a preparation for the busiest time of the year. Business wise, of course. It seemed, in other matters as well.

  "A question." The soft feminine tone filled the air with pleasing familiarity.

  Looking up, I saw my wife there in my home office, gliding a delicate hand over the dark wooden shelves on the side.

  "Yes?"

  The soft curls on that golden hair bobbed slightly as she took a few steps beside the bookshelves. "What are these?" Withdrawing her hand, she allowed a disapproving frown touch her brow.

  "Pardon?"

  "These shelves. They're closing up the space. I don't like that." Despite myself, and the concern about today's meeting that thrived in my gut, I suspended a laugh.

  It wasn't her first time visiting my office at the house, but having her there always brought me a strange sense of calmness. It was like that with Leah. As absurd as it was to be calling her my wife—something I was still getting used to—we seemed to had formed a curious comfort between each other.

  Glancing at my watch, I stood up. "Well, my dear Leah, good thing it's not your office to worry about."

  She continued examining the furniture. "Yes, yes, but since you granted me permission to visit this private office of yours whenever I wish, I imagine I'll be spending quite some time here." Those intriguing eyes traveled to meet mine. "Considering your lack of interest in finances." Glancing back at the painting on the wall now, she frowned. "Whoever advised you with decorating did a rather poor job at it."

  I rounded the table and joined her at regarding the old painting. "It came with the house."

  "What?" The fierce brunette turned to face me. "You never renovated this place after you bought it?"

  I waved a hand toward the wall. "I didn't have the time for that." Leaning back against the near table, I crossed my arms and regarded her. "Which, logically, is the reason why I bought an already furnished house."

  "Right. That explains a lot." She walked towards the mantelpiece, her hips swaying lazily. My throat was a bit dry. "There's lack of seating spots for instance; the fireplaces seem like they haven't seen a single flame in years."

  "I spent my winters in France."

  She turned to look at me. Scanned me. "Oh. Of course." Running her fingers over the leather armchair in front of the fireplace, she frowned. "This has to go."

  And then I understood what she was aiming for. That previous night, before that mind-blowing kiss that I had manipulated her into so that the maid would see us, she had mentioned something about keeping our meetings private. In my home office.

  I frowned at the conclusion. "You're not renovating my office." My tone was stricter than I intended, and a bit harsh. She, however, didn't even look up at me.

  "As if you care. All you need is your laptop for a few hours. You can do it from your bed while I play around with this." Oh, how interesting for her. She found herself a distraction.

  I pushed myself off the table I was leaning on, determinedly striding towards her. "I'll let you know that I am very much fond of my office."

  "Please. You can't work here properly because of all the—" She waved around with her hands, frowning as she took in the view. "clogged space."