Shattered (Kalijah)

Summary: Set in Originals S5. When Kat escapes the prison world Ric's girls made when they were little girls, Kat is informed by Marcel what happened to Elijah and Klaus. When she brings Elijah back, will they get back together? Based on the song "Shattered" by Trading Yesterday.

Yesterday I died, tomorrow's bleeding

Fall into your sunlight

The future's open wide, beyond believing

To know why, hope dies

Losing what was found, a world so hollow

Suspended in a compromise

The silence of this sound, is soon to follow

Somehow, sundown

And finding answers

Is forgetting all of the questions we called home

Passing the graves of the unknown

As reason clouds my eyes, with splendor fading

Illusions of the sunlight

And a reflection of a lie, will keep me waiting

It was a dismal night, as a human Katherine walked through the Quarter, her destination being the compound. She'd just escaped a prison world, so she'd had to deal with a couple teenage supernaturals and Kai. What little injuries she had were cloaked, though. After all, she'd learned how to make her Traveler magic active, which had saved her life.

Once inside the compound, she could see that things had changed. The compound wasn't very kept, she couldn't sense a lot of vampires, and she didn't hear any of the Mikaelsons yelling at each other. Then, a moment after she noticed all of that, she saw from the corner of her eye, someone jump from the balcony, landing on the ground. Then, when she turned to face the vampire, she was relieved to see that it was only Marcel.

"Katherine. Long time no see," he greeted with a smile.

"What happened?" she asked. "I get the cure for vampirism shoved down my throat, die of old age, end up in a prison world, and come back to find New Orleans different."

"You probably want the short version. Klaus gave up the Quarter, despite how much he was happy to have won it from me. He loved Hope more though, and gave it back to me. Then The Hollow surfaced and wanted Hope. To save Hope and everyone else from it, he put it all inside himself. Then he killed himself."

The human was shocked, but not too much, knowing that if Nadia could change her, then Hope could do the same for Klaus. She had to ask something else though, despite her fear of the answer. After all, sometimes not knowing was worst than not knowing.

"Where's Elijah?" she asked.

"Hayley sacrificed herself to save Hope. Elijah loved her. It was tearing him apart. He thought it was his fault. He couldn't live with that guilt, nor without Klaus. I'm sorry, Katherine. He died with Klaus to be reunited with her," he informed her.

She was silent, as she contained herself, forcing herself not to cry in front of Marcel. Then she finally spoke.

"How long ago?"

"A month ago," he replied. He knew what she was going to attempt, but he wasn't going to stop her. He'd do the same for Davina time and time again. And despite him hating the Mikaelsons, he wouldn't stop her from being reunited with her love. He'd be a hypocrite if he did.