United Once Again

*Present*

The broken clock is a comfort

It helps me sleep tonight

Maybe it can stop tomorrow from stealing all my time

I am here still waiting though I still have my doubts

I am damaged at best

Like you've already figured out

I'm falling apart

I'm barely breathing

With a broken heart that's still beating

In the pain

There is healing

In your name I find meaning

So I'm holdin' on

I'm holdin' on

I'm barely holdin' on to you

It was a nebulous night in New Orleans, as Katherine walked through the French Quarter in search of Elijah. She didn't like to admit it, but for once in a very long time, she needed him; needed his help; his protection. She was human, which meant that sooner or later, her enemies would find out and she wouldn't be able to defend herself. Having an Original on her side would be a bonus for her. This wasn't just survival though. She also wanted to win him back. If she was going to die human, she wanted to at least get her happy ending with him before then. It still hurt that he'd left her for his family, but after being reunited with Nadia, she understood somewhat. She didn't want Nadia's protection though. Nadia had spent her entire vampirism life searching for her. It was time for her to live her own life. It was best that she go to Elijah. He and his siblings were almost unkillable. She was doing this to keep Nadia alive and make the better choice. Even if that choice got her killed or once again, hurt. He'd never hurt her before like he had by breaking up with her, but then again, it was partly her fault for lying to him.

*Pennsylvania*

*Day*

Elijah and Katherine were in an alleyway, Katherine standing in front of him.

"I was doing what I had to to survive," she defended.

"Is that what I am to you? A means of survival?" he accused her.

"Don't. Don't let sweet little Elena get to you. She hates me. She wants you to turn against me and convince you that I can't be trusted."

"I asked you a question," he said in an irritated and commanding tone.

"No," she replied. "Of course, you're not a means of survival. You looked out for me when I had no one. You've given me a second chance now when no one else will. I love you." She rested a hand on the side of his face. "Elijah." He turned his face away and she dropped her hand. "You don't believe me," she realized.

"I want to," he replied, looking at her. "It's my disease. I just keep wanting to believe you, but how can I when at every turn you give me a reason to doubt you? I don't know you. I don't think I ever will."

He began to walk away.

She caught up with him, a hand on his arm, stopping him.